Looking for advice ...

weepawsx

Reaction score
My gran is in hospital just now and I really want to go visit her as she isn't very well! :sad:

The woman in the bed beside her has been given a nuclear injection and I'm worried that I shouldn't really be going to visit since I'm pregnant ...

Can anyone help? :think: xx

Firstly, Sorry your gran is in hospital, I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Yes, I think you should stay away. My mum had a nuclear injection for breast cancer last year and wasnt allowed near small children or pregnant ladies for at least 48 hours. Even then I wouldnt risk it, it can sometimes take longer to degrade in some people.

I personally think its a little risky visiting an open ward when pregnant anyway, but I can understand your desire to see your gran.
xx

Hi Hun sorry about your gran

I'd phone the ward and ask if there is any risks to you visiting. Surely if there was a risk to visitors she would be isolated for everyones protection xx

When I was on an open ward they didn't allow small children in due to risk of passing on infections to them. However they did have a family room you could go to during visits. Maybe worth a call to the ward to see if they have something similar you could use.

thanks everyone for your comments! :smile: i'm sure she will be back to her normal self soon!

i will call the ward and ask just now - didnt think that i would be able to do that! ..

i just feel really selfish if i do go if im putting the baby at risk but i also feel guilty about not going to see my gran (even though she would 100% understand why im not there if i didnt go!) xx

I pesonally wouldn't go hun because of the risks, but I can understand why you would want to go.

Could you write her a note/card and give it to one of your family members to take in.... at least she will know exactly why you are not coming in and that you are thinking of her.

x

thanks Karate Kid such a good idea i will pick up a wee card on the way home! i would never have thought of something like that with this baby brain :dohh:xx

thanks Karate Kid such a good idea i will pick up a wee card on the way home! i would never have thought of something like that with this baby brain :dohh:xx

No worries hun, I am sure she knows you are there with her. Hope she isout and about soon xx

Sorry to hear about your gran.

I think staying away would be wise, you wouldnt want to risk anything happening for the sake of a few days.

My aunt is in hospital and there has been case after case of things like norovirus and other nasties which are probably less severe than nuclear injections in terms of problems they can cause but I just didn't risk it.

I'm sure she will understand x

So sorry to hear about your gran, but I'm sure she wouldn't want to risk anything happening to the baby either, I'm sure if you explained she will understand :) x

Theres risk anywhere and everywhere you go...
Just ring up and ask the nurse in charge, explain your situation and they will give you an honest answer xx

As others have said ring and ask but you're bound to be fine. As long as its 48hrs since her jab and you are past the most critical time (radiation wise) in your pregnancy. Health professionals (myself included) have to work with sick patients and radiation (im a radiographer) when pregnant til 37wksand all was/is fine with me. Just wash your hands etc as you would when visiting anyway, you can sit next to someone on the bus with something and never know etc so try not to worry and if you'd like to see your gran you'll be fine Xx

thank you everyone for your help! i called today and unforunatley my gran had to get a neuclear injection to go for scans so i have been advised its best to stay away for 48 hours but i have to call over the weekend and i should hopefully be able to go up and see her own room! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back