letting future employers know im expecting without scaring!

Miss.Monroe

Reaction score
im being made redundant next month 25th March. i know i must add on my CV somewhere that im expecting our baby in august. how do i write this in without completly scaring the employers away!

i feel like i wont be able to get a job because im pregnant, because its obvious im going to want time off when the time comes to give birth.

You don't have to tell them. Unless its a high risk job and they would need to know from the off. Also at 17 weeks chances are you may be showing a bit already, so its hard to cover up or not tell.

The law states pregnant women cannot be dsicriminated against.

Have a read of these, the second one gives you some ideas to include in your CV and interview. Reasons why you would make a good addition to the company etc and work it into the wording at interview. I'd not list it on the CV personally, but you can if you want.

http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/ltext/l1300004.htm

http://www.motheratwork.co.uk/Experts/d ... ty%20Leave

Law info

http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/ltext/l1300004.htm

lfc_sarah said:
Doesnt stop them just not giving a reason for not employing you though

No, but you would hope a decent employer would not discriminate. I'm aware some people/companies might still pass over a PG woman but all I can do is try to provide the info so as mmonroemaniac is informed and aware of how its supposed to work.

If she feels she is discriminated against in applying for a job, she needs to consider what action if any she wishes to take.

I did also point out that there is no obligation to tell if PG.

You have to notify within a certain timeframe but that is something people can read up on themselves on the DWP website. All the info is there to be found :)

I'd leave it off the CV then tell anyone you went for an interview with so you could explain yourself a bit and stop them dismissing you without having even met you - i know companies arent supposed to discriminate but how would you know if you sent a CV and just got a standard response!

ah great, so its alright to leave it off the Cv then. i wasnt sure if i was required to put it on the CV before i even got as far as the interveiw. right that helps alot thank you :D i dont think im really showing much to be honest! just a bit more flabby! lol

good luck with the job hunt hun, I got made redundant when i was 14 wks pregnant and couldnt get a job after that I ended up on job seekers until i was 29 weeks then they started my maternity allowance and now im on income support :?.

Let us know how u get on :)

Good luck hun! I set up my business last year about a month before I found out and its the same thing that I have been doing for 3 years - just different format - so I know money doesn't flow in steadily until the end of the year which was fine before, but now OH got made redundant a week ago with immediate effect so we really need the pennies! I went straight out and got a 2 week temp job which I finish on Friday.

Ideally I want a part time job to fit round the business as it's tiring juggling the 2 right now, but the agencies keep giving me temp stuff which is ok until my bump becomes more obvious and they stop!

I'd say leave it off your CV for now hun, maybe also look out for something temp for when your due to finish - you can always give them notice that you can't do it if you find something permanant - that way you know the money is still going to come in. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back