Lazy eye (newborn)

NickyB

Reaction score
I have the HV coming tomorrow, but wanted to ask here too.

Is it normal for a newborn to have a lazy eye? It's not constantly wandering, just occasionally.
She's too little to be really focusing on things yet so I can't tell whether it'll clear up once she does take an interest in looking at everything or not.

Cheers :)

My sister noticed Angel did when she was tiny, but she hasn't now.
May just be worth asking to put your mind at rest.

i *think* all babies have it or most of it but it sorts itself out normaly after a short time once they start focusing
:hug:
xx

Till Corey was about 6 weeks old he went boss eyed all the time...!! Poor thing, used to look so funny. Since then he hasnt done it once. I asked my HV and she said it was normal all babies eyes wander around...

Lydia used to go cross eyed loads when she was a newborn. I assure you her eyes are not cross eyed now :)

Its normal in newborns. Their eyes adjust over the first few weeks and learn to focus over time. The cross eyed or wonky eyed thing will pass in time.

Babies eyes dont work in unison at first, they move indepentantly to each other but that changes when they're able to focus.

I took Eva to the childrens ophthalmologist last week as we have been concerned she may still have this (OH and I both had squints corrected as kids and its a hereditary thing) everything is fine at the mo but she said if you are at all concerned you should get it checked out as soon as poss after about 3 months as they can keep a lookout and act quickly if there is a problem. Apparently the success rate of correction is higher the sooner its caught.
So dont worry for now but keep an eye on it and ask your HV for a referral if you are still worried in a couple of months.
Eva still looks abit wonky especially in photos but I feel reassured that everything is OK for now, I'm sure your LO will be fine too :hug:

Bump.

How are Hayden and Evie's? Lucy's has mostly gone but occasionally still goes for a second. It doesn't happen very often. After Clarey's post, I thought I'd bring it up at the Doc's if it hasn't completely gone at 12 weeks.

Ivys are still going on occasion she makes some funny faces! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back