Lack of support from work

kerrie2194

Reaction score
I work in a department store as a sales assisstant.....not a very taxing position but at 5months pregnant my feet and back are starting to feel the strain of being on my feet all day.
I have had risk assessments throughout my pregnancy with a health and safety officer and I thought all was well....my stores policy is to provide you with a chair when you feel you need it so you can rest you feet from time to time. However after a short break away I have asked for a chair more to perch than to sit but have been told that my department is in to central a location to allow a chair behind a till point! The solution to this is for me to go into a stockroom and do heavy lifting and movement of stock that I would struggle with if not pregnant...they intend for this to continue all the way into my 8th month when I intend to start my maternity leave.

I am unsure of what to do or who I should go to to get more information on this....I would assume the personell department however this decision has came from them and everyone seems on board with it apart from me! Also I thought it would be a risk to the company to have a heavily pregnant woman lifting heavy boxes or standing on her feet all day everyday afterall if anything happened to me surely it would be due to their negligence?!

Please any advice or help would be much appreciated
Thanks x

I'm not sure who to go too but I agree, it'll be more of a risk for you too be heavy lifting! I don't see why they can't let you have a chair behind the till!
Hope you manage to get it sorted x.

I worked in a cafe when I was pregnant and spent most of the early days throwing up in the stock room. Towards 15 weeks after my sickness had gone I started suffering from SPD which left me unable to stand, walk or lift. My work wouldn't do anything to help me and I had to leave work at 18 weeks, partly because of the SPD, partly because of the bullying I suffered. No-one I worked with had been pregnant so I kept getting told "it can't be all that bad" even when they saw me being sick or crying in pain.

Some places just don't give a dam do they. :( I hope they get their fingers out and help you hun.

Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back