• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Just had a sweep...

Georgie0

Reaction score
Wow, that was wierd!:shock:

apparently the cervix is 0.5cm long and o.5cm thick and soft (sorry, tmi!!) but is only admitting a fingertip. hmmm. anyone know if that is likely to lead to anything soon!?! MW said she was on call tomorrow night so can i have her then please!

I really would not be looking forward to another one of those, i hope she comes before next weeks appointment!

in myexperience i had 2 sweeps when i was 2m dialated with my first and it didnt make a difference but i had a bad labour - the 2nd sweep i had i told the midwife to give it a good go to encourage some movement - looking back she probably thought i liked her or something pmpl

other ppl though the sweep really gets things going so i think its just a case of how nice your body and baby wants to be at this point lol x

I like the baby is very, very comfortable in there! She has a nice enviroment, a few nerves to bounce up and down on when she's bored and some ribs to boot as well! Plus the joy of pressing on her Mothers bladder and laughing as she runs to the loo AGAIN!

Apparently a sweep starts labour in half of all people who have it done the more active u r after it the more chance of it working. i had 1 with my 1st an had a show but didnt go in to labour.then when i was 3cm dilated i had another one an was 9 an a half cm within half hour.took 13 an a half hours to get from 9 an a half to ten though lol

Had one yesterday and so far bugger all has happened! Had my show on MW's glove (nice) and she could feel my baby's head and waters & she put I'm on my notes I'm 1cm dilated but I'm starting to think if baby is not ready, then baby is staying put!
Also not looking forward to another sweep on Monday so please god baby arrives sometime this week x

Am i the only person whose desperate for theres? I think i get my first next Wednesday, but i'm desperate for this baby to get out (i beg and plead with her a lot!) I've even looked into getting a private midwife to do it for me - if only i knew someone who was a midwife (OH's boss's daughter is one, but i've never met her and although the boss is a family friend, i feel awkward asking, OH doesn't seem to have taken the initiative even though it was him who suggested asking her)

From what i've read, a sweep is great for kick starting things if the baby is ready to come, but if not, it does bog all

Am i the only person whose desperate for theres? I think i get my first next Wednesday, but i'm desperate for this baby to get out (i beg and plead with her a lot!) I've even looked into getting a private midwife to do it for me - if only i knew someone who was a midwife (OH's boss's daughter is one, but i've never met her and although the boss is a family friend, i feel awkward asking, OH doesn't seem to have taken the initiative even though it was him who suggested asking her)

From what i've read, a sweep is great for kick starting things if the baby is ready to come, but if not, it does bog all

my daugther from what i remember wasnt engaged at all when i had my first sweep at 2cm,then 2 days later i was still 2cm when i went to midwife baby was 3/5th engaged but still didnt help.

spent from the tuesday till thurs morning walking and rolling about on my gym ball, must have covered about 10 miles between the sun and thurs trying to get it to move lol

I'm 2/5 engaged, apparently all set to go! Just had the tinist bit of bloody discharge (again, tmi!) so am literally bouncing up and down lol!

Hate to sound stupid but what is a sweep exactly and why do they do it? When I was on here with Ellie I think only the overdue mums had a sweep and that wasn't many..

a sweep is where a midwife uses her finger to stretch the cervix open slightly in the hope it starts labour

Bit uncomfortable! Its supposed to trigger the release of the hormone Oxytocin which starts labour off. It only works if you are already close though.

Blimey!! I dont want that! :shock:
My kids seem to go opposite ways, supposed to get bigger and come quicker, mine get smaller and later lol! Only 5 and 3 days early.. But I'd hate to go overdue like my sister did :(

Hopefully things will move quickly for you now!! Fingers crossed!!!

It is bearable, just feels really wierd. Also gives the MW a chance to assess you internally, then they give you a 'Bishop score' which helps determine if you are likely to need inducing. Its a small comfort to know that the effacement is going along ok and everything is gearing up as this feels never ending!
They offer 1st time mums one at 40 weeks, then everyone gets offered one at 42 weeks i think. If you don't want it, i'm sure thats not a problem!

Ah well if u benefit like that then maybe it's worth a few mins of discomfort!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back