Jenna Caitlin, born 26th Nov **Birth story added 17/12**

Sorry haven't posted for ages - don't know where you guys find the time!! Jenna having a nap at the moment so thought I'd scribble a quick birth story and get a pic up if I have time ...

2am Sat 24th Nov: noticed slight water leaking - not enough to make me wake hubby. My first thought was that either (a) waters had gone to some extent or (b) bladder had completely given up on me and started to fail!. Finally woke hubby about 6am. No contractions, but had been having a lot of back pain over the past few weeks, increaseing over the past few days but only ever at night. Rang our consultant who told us to come into hospital 11am Sat unless contractions started before then.

11am Sat: went into hospital - internal exam (OOOWWWWW!), cervix still closed, 2 swabs taken as hind waters breached. Went home.

8pm Sat: had to go back to hospital for IV antibiotics as now 18 hours since hindwater breach. Ended up being in hospital until 11pm Sat night (trouble siting cannula for IV as my veins go ito hiding at the sight of a needle). Advised to come in if contractions started, otherwise come back Sunday morning at 11am.

Spent Sat night / early Sun morning at home, back pain getting worse and worse, coming in waves ever few mins. I didn't think they were 'proper' contractions though as no pain anywhere except in back.

11am Sun 25th Nov: returned to hospital to be induced. Internal exam confirmed was now 2cm dilated :D All back pain had ceased, and no contractions present. Had to wait until 3pm for a labour & delivery room as they were all in use!

3pm Sun 25th Nov: got settled into labour & delivery room, cannula in for the syntocin. Main waters broken by consultant – they were meconium stained, but not enough to cause any concern (they scale it 1-5, with 5 being the worst and mine was a 1). Syntocin started just after 4pm. As soon as contractions were established, back pain returned with a vengance. No pain anywhere else, just lower back. Managed on the gas & air for a few hours, then had epidural. It didn’t do anything for the back pain, so they removed it and re-sited it higher up. Still didn’t touch the back pain which was getting worse and worse. Consultant was in & out every couple of hours. I was 7cm dilated by about 8pm, and starting to struggle on just the gas & air (I didn’t want pethidine).
11pm Sun 25th Nov: consultant returned – I was still 7cm :O( the syntocin was up as much as I could bear, very regular contractions, back pain excruciating by now. I was bawling my eyes out! So, the choices were: (a) continue as I was, seeing if I would dilate any more, but in pain ++, and prob end up with a forceps delivery as baby was in an awkward position. Consultant felt it would probably take another 4-6 hours or (b) go for the c-section. I opted for the c-section, had always been very happy with it as an option if it came to it, and it was the best decision for us in the end. Was taken down to theatre swiftly, epidural meds increased until lower half was anaesthetized.
0006am Mon 26th Nov: our beautiful little daughter, Jenna Caitlin, made her appearance! We have a photo of her being lifted above the green curtain so we could see her just when she came out – amazing!

Will post some pics up later ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back