Jaundice @ 8 weeks + blood test question

Urchin

Reaction score
Hiya

Riley has a blood test on Thursday as I think he's a bit jaundiced, which is normal for the first few days after birth but not at this age.

Has anyone experienced this? His nappies are normal and I know it may be "breastfeeding related jaundice" but I want to know for sure.

Also... this blood test, had anyone's baby had one? How the hell are they going to take his blood?! I'm dreading it!

Dan was jaundiced at birth, but not enough to go under the light. They took blood from the heel of his foot and he didn't cry. He was younger than Riley though, so Riley might be a little more aware.

Keep us updated and try not to worry too much, easier said than done though!

edit: When they took a blood test when he was first born it was on the back of his hand. When he had another test a couple of weeks later at out patients, it was on the heel of his foot.

They usually take blood from the back of the hand...they insert the butterfly needle in and let drip into a container...they cry a lot too :cry: Lil miss had bad jaundice at birth...one of the techniques they use to reduce the bilirubin in the blood is to give clear liquids.... Lil miss had to drink loads as well as have UV light... afterwards too...we were told to take her into the sun as much as possible...which is what we did... :) As its supposed to be sunny in the UK atm get him out and about for 10 mins at a time in the sun...

Hope he is OK...what with Brody recently you're not having a good time of it hun... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Madame had jaundice at birth and that was breastfeeding related. They said I had three days to improve it myself if she hadnt at the end of three days then she would be admitted for treatment. I sat in the conservatory with her in just a nappy for the next three days and they were impressed with her so thankfully she didnt have to have treatment. I hope he is ok with his tests at 8 weeks its got to be scary compared to birth when they are less aware :hug:

Hi Unchin,

Baby Antonio was jaundice for 10 weeks :( The Midwife who delievered Antonio said he would be jaundice for about 3 weeks but she said he diddnt look that bad so diddnt need the UV light (Antonio was 4 weeks early) However the jaundice became worse and Midwife asked me to take him to the hospital for a blood test. They took blood from Antonio's heel and the result came back under the "critical" line so was safe to go home but it carried on until he was 10 weeks old.

T xx

leland did go under them lamp for 2 days at 3 days old , he then had prolonged jaundice for 3 weeks . but it was fading by then so they didnt worry , it was mainly left in his nose where there's no blood vessles .

they;ll take his blood from either his hand like squig said with a butterfly needle and believe me it will be nicer now then at days old , leland was bruised for weeks !
or they might take it from his heel

i cant remember tho what happens if it comes back bad , i think it will end up in a hosital trip :cry:

Becky was "jaundiced" at birth due to a crossover in our bloods at birth (I'm Rh- and she's +) which is quite rare in first pregnancies. She was under the phototherapy light for a night until they got the detailed results back that showed she was below the line at which they would treat.

All the blood tests we've had for this have been taken from her heel.

Hope it all goes ok :hug:

Owen had a blood test from the back of his hand at 3 weeks and as the levels were high but not too high to be admitted they did another test at 5 1/2 weeks and we are just waiting for the results to come back, it isn't nice haing the blood tests but I made sure Owen was due a feed so I started to feed the nurse put teh needle in and he cried but because he was hungry he went back to feeding and he said no more about it.

Good luck x x x

Edit - we are laying him next to the window when the sun shines and it is helping, i think it is staying longer because i am still breastfeeding him

harrison was jaundiced until 4/5 weeks old, they took blood from the heel :(

edward had it for about the same..deffo try the sunlight.. just cover his eyes from the light.. any hint of sun get him in his vest or nappy and put him by the window.. take him for walks and let some light get to him..eds was bf related and coz he was preterm..took him ages to get rid of it.. he didnt have a blood test for it.. although they were talking about it.. lucky we hasd a few fine days asnd i took him out in the sun.. and it started to clear.. hope hes okxx

Thanks girls :)

I was getting him into the sun but then the weather went crap... looks sunny again today though yay!

well luckily he didn't need a blood test after all.

they tested his wee (attached a little bag to his winkie bless him) and did a few more checks but said if he's jaundiced (the doc didn't even really think he was) it would be breastfeeding related nothing more.

I was so glad he didn't need it, he'd already had his jabs this morning, poor little guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back