Is this just a Myth...??

NATALIE81

Reaction score
My friend said her sister found out the gender of her baby at her 12 week scan. The sonnographer said she could tell her if she wanted to know, of course she wanted to know so her sonnographer told her that because girls have 1 less rib than boys she was having a girl because they counted the ribs. I remember something biblical about adam and eve and ribs but don't know if there is any scientific evidence to base this on.

Does anyone know if this is a myth I'm having my 12 week scan in 10 days and would be great to find out then.

My friend's sister did have a girl too.

if it was ture and i dunno if is is coz i have never herd of it I still dont think the sonnographer would tell you at your 12 week scan i have never herd of anybody finding out this early and its isnt something you can even ask for till your 20wks scan at our hospital. I also had a 3d scan with my little girl2 make double sure it was a girl and the lady told me it was all down to he pelvis bone she said a girl has a gap in her pelvis that looks like a burger on screen lol and a boy dosnt have a gap, hope all go's iwell for you i also have my scan in 10 days cant wait xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
My sonographer at my 4d scan said that about the burger! haha. I also had one to make sure it was a girl :) But i dunno about the 12 week thing i've never heard of it. Sorry x

As far as I'm aware the rib thing is a complete myth. I have a QI General ignorance fact book which I've always found true. It states that men and women have exactly the same amount of ribs and that it's actually thought that god made eve from Adams penis bone hence why human men are the only mammal to not gave a penis bone. That is if you believe in the creation theory. Perhaps ask a doctor if the rib thing is true because they have to study human physiology.

I dont think the genitals start to form until the 13th week? I think that is the only definitive way to distinguish between boys and girls :)

There is a thing called the Nub Theory (google it)
But it's nothing to do with ribs and certainly isn't 100%
x

Yep there is only the nub theory at 12 weeks. The rib thing isnt true x

Wow that would be amazing if they could tell at 12 weeks, but from what I heard you have to wait until the 20 week scan. But I don't know maybe you can tell at 12 weeks. x]
I wish you could, I can't wait to find out what I'm having!!

The nub theory is very popular at min but it relies on bubba being helpful and lying in the perfect position to be able to see the nub! Have a go but double check at 20 week scan and try not to stress-I've seen this drive mum-to-be's absolutely mental! Lol

a very experienced sonographer may be able to tell from as early as 13 ish weeks. we were told at our private NT scan that Hebe was a girl. They are reluctant to because it's very difficult to tell so early :)

i found out last time that my baby was a boy at the 12 week scan. they are not supposed to say then because it is not at all very accurate and they are only supposed to tell you if alls ok. so in short yes they can tell sometimes but they wont look for it and probably wont tell you.

someone posted a thread on here a few weeks back about a website you could post your 12 week scan pic up and people would predict gender using the nub theory.... I cant find it now and I cant remember what the site was called....anyone any ideas?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back