• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is this bad....?

topbird

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Opinion please!

We really like the name Matthew, but a girl I work with, who I get on well with, has just had a boy and called him Matthew. How bad is it for us to use it too?

I am so bad at putting my foot in it, and I know if I asked her she would say she doesn't mind, but trying to put myself in her shoes I think it would p*ss me off if some one did it to me?

What do you think? should I forget it and think of another name?

Are you just work colleagues or good friends?

If I really liked a name and there was no objection on their part I'd use it. Unless you make a name up there'll always be another sharing anyway, your colleague wouldn't have picked a popular name like Matthew if that was an issue surely?

I was going to say that...if it was a bit more unusual I could see her point it would seem more like you copied her, but Matthew is quite popular.

i agree matthew is quite a popular name so i cant see her minding. i wouldn't mind, i would be flattered that you like the name enough to call your son that. i also like a name (Zane) but my sister in law says she likes it and that she doesnt want me to have it even tho she aint tryin for a baby or PG. xxxxx

We eliminated names of close friends but anyone else I am not bothered..I'd maybe talk to her and tell her you had packed the same name and see from her reaction how you feel..Chances are this isn't someone you will spend a lifetime working with unlike friends and family.

Thanks everyone.... will keep it on the short list then and talk to her next time I speak to her. You have confirmed what I thought, but just wanted to get some more opinions.

She is not a friend out side of work at the minute but when she gets back from maternity leave in May (and if I do not get the new job) we will be sitting next to each other as her job has changed due to her coming back part time. So, we may end up friends later down the line with children the same age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back