Is it ok to use my cousins's daughters name?

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
Hi well we have our boys name and I think I am having a boy but if we do have a girl the only name we both really love is a name that has already been used in the family by my cousins 11 year old daughter. I probably only see my cousin about once every six months at things like family functions and I don't think she would mind. I don't know if my auntie would think it is a bit weird as she is my cousins step mum and obviously sees her a lot more than I do and I also see my auntie quite a lot so she would see both children with the same name. Do you think it would be too confusing and unfair to use the name or do you think that if it is the only name we love then we should just use it and they will have to get used to it? I think the trouble is I have a huge family and all the nice names have already been used. Also if you do think I should use it should I call my cousin and put it past her first? Aaargh I am stressing out!
:think:

I don't see why there should be a problem hun, no-one has a totally unique name (well maybe apple, but you know :roll: !) and there are bound to be other children with the same name. So unless your cousin can be funny about things, i can see no reason why you shouldn't choose the same name, as you said it's not as if you see each other every day!

i personnaly think it would be loverly to use her name but maybe just check with her first im sure she wouldnt mind tho
Sarah is a good name to :wink:

Yeah id run it past your cousin, depends what she is like as a person and whether or not she might be put out if you used the same name. Also talk to your aunty see what she thinks.

But at the end of the day hun, you have to choose a name because you like it, or otherwise you may end up choosing something for the sake of it and regret it.

What is the name anyway?

depends whats his name? if it is some thing really different and rare i wouldnt like some one to copy, but if its a coman name any way i cant see a prob :)

Everyone in my family seems to marry a [name], so there are about 5 at every family do. I don't think it's be a problem!

I would suggest mentioning it to your cousin though, just say you've always loved the name and would she mind you using it? (Then use it anyway).

Last edited:
my niece is called chloe i really like the name :cheer:

Gemz said:
Hi well we have our boys name and I think I am having a boy but if we do have a girl the only name we both really love is a name that has already been used in the family by my cousins 11 year old daughter. I probably only see my cousin about once every six months at things like family functions and I don't think she would mind. I don't know if my auntie would think it is a bit weird as she is my cousins step mum and obviously sees her a lot more than I do and I also see my auntie quite a lot so she would see both children with the same name. Do you think it would be too confusing and unfair to use the name or do you think that if it is the only name we love then we should just use it and they will have to get used to it? I think the trouble is I have a huge family and all the nice names have already been used. Also if you do think I should use it should I call my cousin and put it past her first? Aaargh I am stressing out!

Go for it hun!!!

My baby's middle name will be Ajade (A-ja-dee) and thats my older cousins middle name.. i call her my big sister

she had a daughter in june and she gave her daughter Ajade for the first name and gave her daughter my middle name as her daughters middle name.

she done this before i even asks her to use the name

it just shows how mjuch u love the name and the person

thats it...

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I don't see a problem with it and i would use a family members name myself if i liked it. My cousins 2 girls have similer names to my 2 girls. She has a lauren jessica and i have a Jessica kym. She also has a Emily Jade and i have a Aimee-jade emily. It wasn't planned that way as we are not close but i don't mind.

Gemz said:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't do it!!!!

My cousin called his daughter rebekah emily. (my daughters are called rebekah and emily)
and my other cousin called hisson james (my brothers sons name is james)

It was most irritating! :x

budge said:
Gemz said:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't do it!!!!

My cousin called his daughter rebekah emily. (my daughters are called rebekah and emily)
and my other cousin called hisson james (my brothers sons name is james)

It was most irritating! :x

Yeah I think I agree Budge, I dont think id be too impressed with that, especially the Rebekah AND Emily in the name!

it was a real pain jaidy!

they phoned up and said ''and what a coincidence they have called the baby rebkah emily ''

its not a coincidencethough is it since they knew they were my two daughters' names :roll:

When i was naming rachael i thought as a joke i ought to tell them id named them all their other cildrens names! :rotfl: but i refraned.

budge said:
it was a real pain jaidy!

they phoned up and said ''and what a coincidence they have called the baby rebkah emily ''

its not a coincidencethough is it since they knew they were my two daughters' names :roll:

When i was naming rachael i thought as a joke i ought to tell them id named them all their other cildrens names! :rotfl: but i refraned.

:rotfl: :rotfl: Very tempting I bet......!!

Is it spelt the same too?? The Rebekah Emily?

no its spelt rebecca but thats not the point :shakehead: i was really pee'd off

budge said:
no its spelt rebecca but thats not the point :shakehead: i was really pee'd off

:rotfl: Id be too, for sure im a bit funny about stuff like that anyhow!!

My friend has a son called Callum and our OTHER friend has a baby in April and called it Callum too! It even had the same middle name of John and both sirnames started with an F.

I felt so sorry for my friend that already had a son called Callum, she was so upset and narked and said she felt like they hadnt bothered to search for their own name.

Its very diffucult this naming business!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back