Is it normal to almost blackout?

*elle*

Reaction score
Hi :)

I'm quite new here and am currently 17 weeks pregnant with twins which were conceived with IVF after long term infertility. Obviously I panic about everything as this is my first pregnancy!

Last night we were at the supermarket and I almost blacked out. It happened quite quickly and my partner had to hold me up as there was no where to sit down but I slowely walked (with his help) over to the cafe where they gave me water. Everything sounded muffled and I had almost like tunnel vision. This scared me a lot as I felt fine before and it came over me so suddenly, but for the rest of the evening I felt exhausted.

My partners colleagues wife is pregnant (further along than me) and he's been telling my partner that this happens all the time to her. Is it a normal thing to happen? Should I expect to have funny turns now that I am getting bigger? I don't want to go to the Dr and it be a waste of time if they tell me this is perfectly normal!

Anyone think this doesn't sound normal?

Thanks for reading.

Elle

Speak to your MW/Dr. But yes, it used to happen to me all the time between about 14 weeks and 25 weeks. I wudnt go out on my own, incase I passed out, I didnt want to fall and damage my bump!!

After 25weeks though, it stoped happening, and I felt fine most of the time!

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pregnancy!
Its totally normal to get like that. When I was 7 weeks pregnant I passed out for a few seconds. I think its mainly to do with hormones but if you do keep feeling like it get them to check your iron levels as I kept having the feeling that I would pass out (although I never did again) and it turns out I was aneamic, I now take iron tablets and it hasn't happened again, I feel so much better for taking them. It can be worrying and can leave you feeling drained afterwards so I totally understand but it is all completely normal. Hope you feel better soon :hug: :hug:

Thanks to both of your for your quick replies :)

I think I will give my midwife a call as I'm feeling quite lightheaded again this morning and I don't know why. I guess it could well be anemia.

This happened to me when I was 11 weeks.

I went to the Dr and he knows Im a bit inquisitive so explained to me in full why it happens to us pregnant girlies.

He said when you fall pregnant your body releases extra hormons to make your uterus relax so you can carry a baby. Unfortunatly this has site effects on your bowels and your blood vessles. Thats why we get constipated. Where your blood vessles are relaxed your heart has to work harder to pump the blood round causing tempory low blood pressure from time to time. WHen this happens you tend to go dizzy and faint/blackout, my Dr said this is your bodies way of making things easier cause it doesnt have to work against gravity once your down..

He told me when I start to feel dizzy, sit down, this should hopefully stop you from blacking out and so far its worked. Also keeping well hydrated!!

xxxxxxx

Hi,

I think they say the symptoms are always worse for twins don't they? (Twice the trouble!) Make sure you keep your sugar levels up as really important. Carry some boiled sweets on you in case it happens again)

Congrats x

As the others have said, it is quite normal due to falls in your blood pressure, but it is worth getting checked out in case there is an underlying problem such as iron deficiency.
Try not to make sudden movements, such as standing up very quickly, so your body can keep up. It makes you feel about a hundred but its better than passing out!

You have a good Dr, JayK2387 :) Great explanation - thanks!

Will carry something to snack on in my bag in future I think. I always used to with the m/s but not bothered when the sickness went away. But I am going to go and see if I can get my blood checked in the next few days as I am worried about anemia as I'm tired all the time.

I will definitely be more careful about hydration & eating more regularly though - I hardly ate anything yesterday due to having bad heartburn but now I've got some gaviscon tablets and they work really well. I forget sometimes that I can't behave the way I did before pregnancy with skipping meals and not taking care to drink enough.

ive gone quite a few times in this pregnany. Ive mentioned it time after time and been told its most prob one of those normal things. It got better for a while, but i went monday morning and ive gone funny a few times over the last few days.

My GP has sent bloods for my Iron levels to be tested :think:

best to mention it though, there is many different things it could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back