• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

inheriting a name

cab'o'holic

Reaction score
my partners name is william so is his dad grandad and so on!
i got away with it with my son we went for luke gordon as my dads name was gordon, but this time he realy wants william if its a boy and i now it will be called billy and i no so many horrible billy also i dont like the fact they are all called william no imagination! i have said william can be the middle name like i had with the first but he wont agre so i realy want a girl! any ideas how i can change his mind????

Its a difficult one. From your partner's point of view, he probably feels he owes it to his family to pass it on if its been a tradition.

I sympathize with you though if you don't like the name. Have you tried explaining to him that you don't like the name Billy very much, and it wouldnt work have him as William because you'd forever get the 2 of them mixed up!

I'd maybe try and settle with it as a middle name, that way you'd never have to call your son the name, and your other half is still doing his bit in passing the name down!

If you discuss other boys names with your partner, try to respect his suggestions so he doesnt feel like youre not letting him have a say.

Least you still got ages to discuss it, and there's only a 50% you need fret anyway!

Izzyx

Tell him he would get jokes about having a 'little willy'.
But seriously, is there any chance you could get used to the name. Its going to get thrown up 'why can we call one after your dad and the other not after his'.

Definately a tricky one.

With my first son he got my Dad's name as his middle name, as my dad died when i was little so he will never meet him.
If this baby is a boy I dont mind having William as a second name like I had for our 1st but he wouldnt let me have 1st name so why should I let him, my partner gets confusion all the time with him and his dad having the same name. so u think he would like to have it as a second name not first, when kids grow up they can use there second name if they like anyway!

i guess you can either take a soft approach and try to reason with him or take a hard line and just say sorry but no!

You are already compromising by saying that its fine for a middle name so now its his turn to give a little too.

my husband was being really difficult when we were choosing names and he didnt like anything and i mean literally no names at all! so i got fed up after about 6 months and told him that they were not going to suddenly invent a whole load of new names so he just better damn well find some he liked or i'd name him myself :oops: ( i blamed it on the hormones)

funnily enough he then decided that my three fave names where ok afterall :D i then said he could decide from those three after alex was born.

x

My oh is called Alan and that runs through the family too,..but i dont like it as a first name for our baby so agreed to maybe have it as a second or 3rd name,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back