• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Increasing milk supply

Redshoes

Reaction score
Any advice greatly appreciated, as I do often worry about my supply, probably no reason to but I do all the same, I've heard fenugreek mentioned but thought that was for food :D How much water do you ladies drink a day too, and what's enough when BF'ing? Thankyou :hug:

Oooh and expressing, can that help? And how and when, what age, would you go about it safely so as not to take away what your baby actually needs :think:

I think its suggested to wait until 6 weeks until you express, this gives you time to establish a good supply. When you do start to express if you do it on a regular basis your body will make the additional milk being demanded, this can be handy for building up a supply in the freezer.

I am not sure about fenugreek TBH, but i have been eating oats and that for me has helped increase my supply :)

I think we all worry about our supply even though the majority of us neednt do so. As long as we let baby suckle as much as they want we should be fine :)

TBH unless you *have* to express for some reason I'd stick with LO on your boobs. Expressing often does not get anywhere near as much out of your boobs as a baby can. I expressed a bit earlier after taking advice on it, but tbh once my milk was in and supply was settled around 6 weeks I found it pointless to keep going. I only express now if I am going out and won't be here for a feed. Otherwise I don't bother. Your supply will be fine by then without needing to express to keep it up.

If your LO is gaining weight then I'd think she were getting enough from you.

Expressing isn't advised before 6 weeks as a rule.

I started expressing at 5 weeks so that hubby could feed Maia. Initially i used to express an ounce in the morning after her first feed and then again when she went down for a nap in the morning. That was ok while i was at home recoverng from my section but it didnt really work for me once i started to drive again so i then started expressing in the evening as that was the feed that lo would normally be having. Supply can be limited in the evening although i haven't really had any problems expressing the amount i need. Now i try and express as and when i can. Sometimes i have time to do it after i have just fed Maia and then i express again at night to make us a full feed. If i collect some during the day i usually have some over in the evening to be able to freeze. I try and drink 2-3 litres a day but it depends on how much activity i do during the day. You need to make sure you get enough rest as well as that can affect supply so make sure you sleep when baby sleeps. I dont know about fenugreek but i swear by drinking lots of water.

I've started eating oats and i've noticed an improvement in my supply :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwqdaa
Back