• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Im going out of my mind! help!

clairescunny55

Reaction score
As you may know ryan is a very big boy, (10lb 7.5 at birth. now 17lb), and he often has 10oz of milk every 2 hours, and then some inbetween. I feel like all i am doing is feeding him. As soon as he wakes up he is hungry, there is nothing i can do to console him. this is getting ridiculous now. Below is what he has eaten today:

9:00am -15 mins breastmilk followed by 6oz bottle
10:30am-6oz bottle
12:30pm-7oz bottle
1:15pm-4oz bottle
3:00pm-7oz bottle
3:30pm-5oz bottle
4:30pm-7oz bottle
6:00pm-7oz bottle
7:30pm-7oz bottle
9:00pm-6oz bottle

As you can see the least he goes is 30 mins :shock: the longest he goes is 2 hours, and thats only if we are out in the car, as soon as the car stops he is hungry.

We go through at least 2 tins of milk a week, and its the milk for hungry babies.

I thought i could make up bottles at night to last the next day, but by 2pm all the bottles have gone and more need making. I find myself making up 3 lots of 7 bottles every day :shock:

My friend has told me to start weaning him already? is this safe? she said she weaned hers at 10 weeks :shock:

Any advice greatly appreciated xx :hug:

That does seem like a lot of milk.
Tom was 10lbs 14oz when he was born and I was feeding him 7oz every 4 hours when he was Ryan's age.
If I were you, I'd talk to your Health Visitor and get her advice. Mine is brilliant with help and support with this kind of thing.
Good luck.
Lucyx

he does seem to be really hungry. From your list I take it he is sleeping for the twelve hours with no night feeds. If that is so then maybe he is getting what he needs. If you compare his weight just now with how much he should be getting according to the tin how does it look?

If you can get away with the milk for now then I would go with that instead of early weaning, maybe in a month - 3 weeks he might be ready. I made the mistake of trying early weaning and it didnt really work

yes he sleeps all night thank god! I think on the tin it says 6 7oz bottles for his weight

I know of parents through reading differing places on the internet, that have successfully given baby rice to a 3month old after GP advisement, but personally I know nothing about it and wouldn't say do it..
He does seem to be a very hungry little boy, go see your GP, make a diary of his feeds, time and amount, and see what they say, if some babies have successfully eaten baby rice at 3months their digestive system must be able to take it (but please don't quote me on that I do not know).
'Solids' is more a case of when your LO can hold their head and chew/swallow 'solids', so even if it could ease his feeds, he may not be capable yet, which suggests no to baby rice. I do know my Mum fed us weetabix with formula through a cut off teat and bottle when we were very young as we were hungry babies :lol: Do what you feel is right :hug: :hug: :hug:

alana was a hungry baby and i was concerned like u are, and mentioned it to my HV and she suggested very liquidy baby rice to bulk her tummy up a bit, and it did work wonders. it just gives them some thing that takes longer to digest. she only had 1 little bowl a day and i didnt fully wean her until she was 6 months old.

but i would suggest ringing ur HV as you LO is having ALOT of milk.

Could it be that he is feeding so often out of habit? Is there a way you could give him bigger bottles less often? Like entertain and entertain until he really is screaming the place down instead of just giving it him if he whinges a bit? Ryan was feeding off me every couple of hours during the day and that's what I had to do to get him to even out a bit as I was just exhausted.

BTW I tried baby rice with Ryan when he was about 3 and a half months (HV's advice) and he didn't understand it so can't say it worked. When I ignored the making up on the packet (porridge consistency) and poured in more milk to make it really runny, it did work (and really made him sleep LOL).. but I gave up on it after a couple of days and started again when he was 4 months!

clairescunny55 said:
As you may know ryan is a very big boy, (10lb 7.5 at birth. now 17lb), and he often has 10oz of milk every 2 hours, and then some inbetween. I feel like all i am doing is feeding him. As soon as he wakes up he is hungry, there is nothing i can do to console him. this is getting ridiculous now. Below is what he has eaten today:

As you can see the least he goes is 30 mins :shock: the longest he goes is 2 hours, and thats only if we are out in the car, as soon as the car stops he is hungry.

We go through at least 2 tins of milk a week, and its the milk for hungry babies.

I thought i could make up bottles at night to last the next day, but by 2pm all the bottles have gone and more need making. I find myself making up 3 lots of 7 bottles every day :shock:

My friend has told me to start weaning him already? is this safe? she said she weaned hers at 10 weeks :shock:

just because he was a big baby it shouldn't make him want more milk. I would talk to your HV. You are in danger here of over feeding him and ending up with a fat baby which is not only not nice to look at but is detrimntal to the babys health and over all well being.

Rachael was a big baby. 10 Ib and she didn't feed any more often than the other 3 i had.

As for the early weaning - well thats just asking again for a fat obese baby/child and possibly adult.
Breastfeeding him exclusively would have bee nthe best thing to do as he would have taken as much as he needed and been less likel;y to over feed.

Like i said speak with a professional and get some support and help before this get out of hand.

:hug:

clairescunny55 said:

just because he was a big baby it shouldn't make him want more milk. I would talk to your HV. You are in danger here of over feeding him and ending up with a fat baby which is not only not nice to look at but is detrimntal to the babys health and over all well being.

Rachael was a big baby. 10 Ib and she didn't feed any more often than the other 3 i had.

As for the early weaning - well thats just asking again for a fat obese baby/child and possibly adult.

Like i said speak with a professional and get some support and help before this get out of hand.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back