Ideas for healthy snacking

Emum

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered a million times before, but I only joined the forum today and couldn't find the answer using the search.

I got my BFP today, and am really really excited. :D And suddenly also really really hungry and I can't really remember what you can and can't eat as a snack in early pregnancy, as my other two children are 7 and 8 now!

I know that soft cheeses and pates are out, and I'd rather not eat too many sweet things (well, I'd love to eat too many sweet things but I'll regret it later I know!) Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for healthy snacks which will help fill that gap without harming the bean? I'm not a veggie and like most foods, though morning sickness is already starting to rear its ugly head. Are dips and pitta bread OK for example (things like hummus, cheese and chive, etc?)

It's funny how I wasn't ravenous yesterday when I didn't know I was pg, in fact I could barely stomach food as I'd been :puke: all night the day before. Yet today, only 12 hours after my BFP, I could eat the back leg off a donkey...

pitta, humous, carrot/cucumber sticks

fruit (watermelon is a fav of mine at the moment)

yoghurt covered fruit

Yoghurt

crackers and cheese

and congratulations and welcome!

crackers and cheese are amazing!!!

mini cheddars though not very healthy

petit flous (sp)

mmmm food!

I've been buying tinned fruit as I have days when I cant eat any and it just goes off. At the mo I either have a smoothie in the morning using the tinner fruit which blitzes up lovely, or I have a tub of fruit as a morning snack.

Pretty healthy right?

:lol: back leg off a donkey! :lol:

welcome, and congrats! :dance:

actually, (sorry to hijack the thread!) whats the deal with nuts now? it changes all the time, with my daughter it was no nuts at all (DF allergic so i'm high risk) should i be actively eating nuts to "immunise" this one? or avoid again? :think:

Welcome and congrats! It's a real toughie on the healthy snacking, especially with being so hungry! I was stuffing my face with bread all the time till I decided to have a health kick at the supermarket the other day. Fruit, veg (carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes for me), tinned fruit, dried fruit (yum, raisins - remember the little boxes of sunmaid raisins you used to get in your packed lunch? They're like twice as big now!), rice cakes, yoghurt... some of this stuff ain't exactly low calorie, but at least it's low fat! Dips is fine. I'm going through a carrot and apple dipped in philadelphia phase at the moment - cos cream cheese is also fine and the extra light stuff still tastes nice! Rice cakes in particular are really good if you're feeling sick - I keep mine by the bed now as a sensible sized morning/in the night snack to keep my stomach going. Oh, and if it's got to be bread (sometimes you just have to!) make it brown : )

On the nut thing, they're still saying avoid if you've got family history of allergies (of any type, not just nuts), but it seems to still be only peanuts, not other nuts.

Any cheese as long as it has been pasteurised is fine. I am loving philly on ryvita when I can stomach it. Like babyblonde I'm going down the smoothie route- have melon and mango chopped up in my freezer (like some crazy fruit-serial killer) and having tinned peaches and stuff. it's quicker than having to chop up all that fruit every time

for a sweet treat without the empty calories, try dried apricots or other dried fruit. The sugar in them is the natural sugar from the fruit (fructose) and so isn't as bad for you as other sugars (I should SO be a spokesperson for things! :lol:)

Other than that I am living off yoghurt really

Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

So, I spent the morning baking oatmeal cookies and carrot cake, and have been to the supermarket and stocked up on cheese, fruit, hummus and wholemeal pittas and muffins. We usually have lots of veg and rice cakes around anyway for the little people. But now I am shattered and far too tired to eat, so am off for a snooze!!

This seems a really nice board. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back