i need a list

trixipaws

Reaction score
i'm a first-time-mummy-to-be, but it was unplanned and i never had any interest in babies before so i'm clueless! what do i need?
please put your ideas of essential items, and dont leave off things that you think are obvious, because i really am a bit clueless! i dont even kno what a babygrow is! but i'm told i'll need lots of those! is it the same as an all-in-one bodysuit?

thanks

Jade89 wrote a list a couple of days ago that was dead comprehensive, I would do a search for her and find it.

Just remember that all you need are the basics,

Somewhere for baby to sleep ( plus some sheets and cellular blankets)
Something for baby to wear ( in the first few weeks a-vest sometimes called a body suit and a baby grow- sometimes called a sleep suit is all you will need) I would buy some in newborn and a couple in 0-3...I had 5 in total when Logan was born!
Maybe a Snowsuit depending on what season baby will be born
Nappies, Wipes, Sudocrem (or other nappy rash cream) Changing Mat
Bottles, Steriliser, Formula ( if your not breastfeeding)
Cotton Wool - for washing baby
Maternity Pads and Breast pads for you
Pram ( maybe a travel system if you have a car) Don't buy a mega expensive one though becasue they aren't in them that long! Toys R us have a good range
Maternity Bra - you need good support! lol
Infacol for when your baby gets colicky
A Dummy - Ididn't want to let Logan have one but it turned out to be a godsend!

Things I wouldn't buy

Baby bath
Baby lotions or creams or bubble baths etc - just use water for the first few weeks and even after then I only use aqueous cream which you can get on prescription! lol ( or costs £198 for a big tub :D )
A bottle warmer - whats the point?! A jug of hot water from the kettle does the job!

Once your baby is home you can ask friends or relatives to get stuff for you if you need it. I bought far to much in advance and wished I hadn't, My hubby said remember the Asda is 24 hrs I can buy anything we don't have!

Good Luck!

yeah thats what a baby grow is hun:)
Changing mat
baby grows
vests
baby bath
bottles
sterilizer
moses basket
blanketts
bouncy chair
bibs
bottles and extrs teats
dummy if needed
booties
hats
gloves
just a few for ya
xx

If I knew then what I knew now I wouldn't have bought half as much as I did!! Best thing for baby for the first month are bodysuits and babygrows, they don't look comfy in real clothes so i only used them when visiting. Leorah hated her bouncy chair, mobile, toys that played tunes and any other stimulating stuff :roll: I wish I bought that kind of thing aftyer she was born and seen what she likes, all babies are different. The things I am so pleased with are having a sling, a swaddling sleep bag as it helped her not startle herself awake all the time and then became a great bedtime cue.

You will be fine, its amazing how it all becomes second nature once baby is here :D

Best thing for nappy rash is vaseline.
I had to throw that in there - I cannot praise it enough. It worked for us where SOOOO many other things failed.

I just wanted to say that if you buy dummies it is best to get the orthadontic ones as they are better for their oral development.

I found that a great investment was a grobag which is like a sleeping bag for baby to sleep in instead of blankets. Grobags are good because the baby can't kick it off the night and get cold and they also can't wriggle underneath it. The actual website that sells them sell them for abot £25 but I got my two on e bay new for about a tenner each. Make sure you look to see what tog you need for the temperature in your room as my house is really hot so I only need 1 tog but colder houses may need 2.5 tog in the winter. I think they are suitable from about 7lb but check that as I'm not sure.
http://www.bumpto3.com/category.aspx?DI ... eping_bags

I don't know if it has been mentioned but these are a few other things if not

I would suggest getting Dr Brown or B free bottles which cost about £20 for 4 (they sell them in Mothercare) as these are a godsend if your baby suffers with colic as a lot do. If you don't know colic is thought to be due to trapped wind and causes the baby to scream for hours.

A breast pump for expressing if you are breast feeding and want to express.

Bath Towels with hoods (just get a couple)

Cotton wool to wash baby with if not having a bath

Moses basket or cot sheets

Baby outfits if you want to dress your baby in outfits(I started dressing Jake in outfits from about 5 weeks). To start with I would just get about five newborn babygrows and short sleeve vests and a hat and then you can buy more when you know the baby's sex. If you are meant to be having a big baby you could get some 0-3 month ones but Jake was 7lb 2oz born and he was in newborn for about 5 weeks or more.

Nappies (I prefer Huggies but Tesco nappies are also good and cheap)

Wetwipes (Pampers, Boots or Simple are good)

Nappy Bags for disposing of nappies

A bag to carry all of your baby essentials in when you go out

Pram

A car seat if you have a car

A couple of blankets to cover baby with when in pram or car seat.

Breast Pads as you will probably leak breast milk for a bit( Boots breast pads are good but make sure it is the ones with sticky tabs on in individual wrappers as the others are rubbish)

Boots do a magazine (in the bigger boots shops) thats free, it has a list in the back with ticky boxes of all the essential things you would need. I am pretty sure Toys R us do one too. It was pretty good. Also I got my travel system off ebay and it was a real bargain so might be worth a look for some of the more expensive items? :) Oh, and I found Toys R Us was better value than mothercare and other places for things like changing mats and bedding. I am a right tight arse!

Baby

Cot
Mattress
2 Flat Sheets
2 Fitted Sheets
Blankets
Mobile?

Moses Basket
Mattress
2 Flat Sheets
2 Fitted Sheets
Blankets
Stand
Room thermometer ?

bouncy chair with toy attachment

(if not breastfeeding)
Bottles
Formula milk
Colic Drops?
Bibs
Dummies?
Steriliser
descaling fluid
Bottle & teat brush

Pushchair
Car seat
Changing bag
Pram blanket

Nappies
Wipes
Nappy cream
Cotton wool
Wipes tub (come in bounty packs)
Bath
Top & tail bowl
Shampoo
Baby bath wash
Baby lotion
Talc powder
2 Sponges (1 for head n body, 1 for bum)
Flannels
Bath thermometer?
Nail clippers
Cotton buds
Hooded towels
Changing mat
Brush & comb set

Monitors?
Bouncing chair?

Sleep suits
Vests
Hats
Socks
Scratch mittens
(And any additional outfits you may want to buy)

Hospital bags

(what i packed in mine)

Your bag…

2 nighties,
Thin dressing gown,
socks,
big knickers,
maternity pads
Toothbrush,
Toothpaste,
Mouthwash,
Shampoo / Conditioner
Shower gel
Slippers,
Hair bands,
2 dark coloured towels for a bath
Flannel,
Hair brush,
Camera,
money for phone.

Baby's bag...

10 Nappies
Packet of wipes
Cotton wool
Nappy Bags
Nappy cream
3 vests,
3 sleep suits,
Socks,
2 hats,
Coming home outfit,
Scratch mitts,
Bibs (Babies are mucousy after birth)

Post-natal

Lots of maternity pads,
The mats that they sell in mothercare, the same as the ones they put under u in hospital are good too for sleeping on incase blood leaks out,
Comfy pj's, thats all i lived in for weeks!,
Breastpads,
maybe nipple cream if breastfeeding etc...

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back