I know this is a daft question, but

KirstyL

Reaction score
how on earth do the MW's tell if baby is bigger or smaller than "normal" for the amount of weeks pregnant?
My MW appointment isn't for another couple of weeks, but I'm assuming they'll measure my bump as they haven't yet, only I look massive when I stand up, yet when I lay down, my bump practically disappears, lol - baby must hide somewhere!
Do they measure when standing or laying? and secondly, where do they measure from and to? Just asking cause I'm gonna have a go when I get home tonight, and see what measurement I get :)
xx

They do it lying down, measuring from your pubic bone to the top of your uterus! It's a load of bollocks tho, my eldest, I measured small the whole way thru and she was 9lb12! My measurements slowed down with my 2nd and they were on about sending me to get checked at the hosp if she didn't start growing! Told then I was having none of it cos it's so inaccurate! Even my consultant said it's so unreliable!

Haha, yeah it probably is, I was more curious than anything :)
Right, daft question number 2 (it's been one of those days) top of my uterus....is where? If I poke around a bit will I feel that (I'll apologise in advance if I've just asked the world''s dumbest question!, lol.
Crikey! I hope I don't have one that's 9lbs + - he won't fit in any of his cute little newborn clothes :(
xx

I agree! My lil man is back to back with me with his knees up so most the time my tummy has a right angle with a flat surface! Plus, they don't know how much is water, baby or what! But ^^^ WSS, total bollocks!

They don't start measuring until 28 weeks though when you have filled out a bit :) Am still not sure how reliable it is - at 28 weeks I was measuring small and sent for scan to check baby's size - which was fine. By 30 weeks I was measuring big and told baby is a whopper, lol xx

Its not accurate though, i was measuring big for my little girl and got told she would be 9lb she was a tiny 6lb1 full term.

They told me Ethan would be 10lb + and he was 8lb exactly. x

If you sort of feel your tummy with your Hand flat, gradually moving upwards, you'll feel it! I was gutted when K was so big cos she literally didn't fit into any of her lovely newborn stuff! Luckily, E was a bit smaller!

If you sort of feel your tummy with your Hand flat, gradually moving upwards, you'll feel it! I was gutted when K was so big cos she literally didn't fit into any of her lovely newborn stuff! Luckily, E was a bit smaller!

They told me first mine was likely to be premature so I bought loads of newborn stuff - now he is going to be full term and expected to be 9lb plus!! So I'm a bit worried he won't even get to wear any of his lovely newborn stuff too - it's so hard to know what to buy, especially when hospital tell you one thing and then change it a few weeks down the line! xx

Have you washed the stuff? If not you could take it back and exchange! I was far too organised tho and had it all washed before I even got to 3rd tri'

They don't start measuring until 28 weeks though when you have filled out a bit :) Am still not sure how reliable it is - at 28 weeks I was measuring small and sent for scan to check baby's size - which was fine. By 30 weeks I was measuring big and told baby is a whopper, lol xx

Oh really :( I feel like I've filled out plenty already! I'm convinced I've started waddling as opposed to walking! Aww bless ya, I think I read on another thread that you're having a 9lb baby?! Ouch.....is that accurate did they say?
xx

They told me first mine was likely to be premature so I bought loads of newborn stuff - now he is going to be full term and expected to be 9lb plus!! So I'm a bit worried he won't even get to wear any of his lovely newborn stuff too - it's so hard to know what to buy, especially when hospital tell you one thing and then change it a few weeks down the line! xx

So after reading this then, I'd better lay off the newborn stuff "just in case" I've brought him loads so far, the stuff is so adorable isn't it! Might have to leave the NB stuff in packets till nearer the time, so I can exchange it if needs be :)

Oh really :( I feel like I've filled out plenty already! I'm convinced I've started waddling as opposed to walking! Aww bless ya, I think I read on another thread that you're having a 9lb baby?! Ouch.....is that accurate did they say?
xx

Yes well his estimated weight of 9lb+ is from scan measurements and growth over the last 3 scans so I guess it's pretty accurate!! :shock: I do seem to come from a family that produces big babies - my sister weighed 10lb and my nephew 9lb 3oz and the rest of us all weighed over 8lb.....plus my husband is 6ft 5 so guess he was never going to be a tiddler, lol!! xx

Have you washed the stuff? If not you could take it back and exchange! I was far too organised tho and had it all washed before I even got to 3rd tri'

I did manage to exchange a jacket and cardigan for 0-3 months which I'm pleased about but all the babygrows have been washed - I'm hoping he might squeeze into them for a week or so as they're so lovely!! So how was it pushing out a 9lb 12oz baby???? :shock: xx

xx

Yes well his estimated weight of 9lb+ is from scan measurements and growth over the last 3 scans so I guess it's pretty accurate!! :shock: I do seem to come from a family that produces big babies - my sister weighed 10lb and my nephew 9lb 3oz and the rest of us all weighed over 8lb.....plus my husband is 6ft 5 so guess he was never going to be a tiddler, lol!! xx

Eek!! I'm intrigued to know if it does actually hurt as much as you'd imagine it to?! I think it's amazing how they can estimate the weight of a baby before he's born, technology eh :) All those weights of your family, aren't making me feel any better, I was 9lb1, my brother was 9lb 3 and my sister was 8lb 4, I'm not massive now, but baby's daddy is 6ft 2, and chubby as a baby apparantly, so I'm not holding out much hope!!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back