• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I knew it would only be a matter of time…

jenna

Reaction score
My inlaws have pee’d me off again. Weve just bought a new car for just less then £4,000. We have to pay £200 a month back so when we sell our old car its going towards the loan and tax. We got our old car last year when OH worked for his dad and his dad made him redundant and said as a good will gift we could keep the company car. Last night DH’s nanan called up and said he either have to give the car back or sell it and give the money. I were in the kitchen doing dinner absolution fuming!!
Anyway he got off the phone and said that his dad is being investigated by the DVLA because he cars classed as a company car and we don’t work for him. So I said ‘so if we sell it why does he need the money back?’ and he said ‘because it’s a company car and we don’t work for him’!!!!! Im so pee’d off. He gave us that car last year and said it was ours, iv paid the tax and MOT myself. All last year when DH was doing odd jobs for him he kept saying ‘don’t forget I pay your insurance and gave you my car’.

Am I the only person that thinks that’s a load of crap? I told DH it’s a bit of a coincidence that the DVLA are investigating it after all this time and why does he need the money back? He said ‘well it makes sense to me but I can’t explain it’!! :shock: :shock:

I'm not sure but it might be something to do with the car now being used as on a PLG (Private/Light Goods) tax disc which may be cheaper than a company vehicle needs to be taxed and it may have been registered as a company vehicle which can be offset against VAT. Only guessing on this and it may have flagged up on the computer at the DVLA when you taxed it as a PLG vehicle when it should be more money for a company vehicle maybe? :think:

Who's name is the insurance in and which address is the car registered at? Your home or his dad's business?

Dunno why they've only just brought this up now though... sounds a bit mean to me...

both the insurance and the car are under the company. But i dont understand why, if hes given us the car, he doesnt just give us the money for the car? hes always looking for new company cars :?

He said something about the DVLA want it to be used as a company car or be sold. So where selling it, so whats that money got to do with the business? :?

If this was on Judge Judy she would say 'it was a gift, they have no right to ask for it back'

Hrrrrm! Surely if the car was handed over to you both as a gift then the logbook (registration document) should have your OHs name on it (or indeed yours) as the new registered keeper. That way surely it's then not a company vehicle. My van stopped being a company vehicle as soon as my name was on the logbook.
If he is still using company insurance to cover the car and the company name is on the docs then it can still be used to do company work while you cough up for its tax, mot and maintenance. It appears the car was never a gift at all. What a rotten tight git! :x

Its possible they've given you the company car for tax purposes. Expenses are tax deductible on the company accounts. My dad used to do the same for me - the business owned the car, paid all the expenses, even paid for the fuel, I drove it. :shhh: We did it that way for 7 years. It seems odd being investigated by the DVLA - a tax investigation would be more likely. As far as I know, DVLA / road tax / insurance are exactly the same whether it's a company car or not - even a company car is still PLG.

Our accountant has told us to do the same now I have my own limited company :shhh:

hmm :think: i told DH that it seems a but dodgy that all of a sudden when where selling our car the DVLA are looking into things. I said if he takes the money hes not getting all of it cus iv paid for the MOT and tax disk. Hes such an arse, hes always trying to make things complicated. Dh tries to make out as if i dont understand whats going on but even i know this is dodgy!

:hug: thanks girls :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back