I am absolutely furious!!!! UPDATED

Snuggle

Reaction score
UPDATE
Our dog found a new home today. She went to a family who run a rescue but went as one of their own dogs. They have 7 dogs of their own aswell as all the dogs they rescue/foster so we know they are dog lovers and she will be happy there (no young children) xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have recently bought a Chinese Crested Powder Puff female dog as a wee friend for Maddison. When we went to see her the owner told us she was a gentle friendly dog who was excellent with children and fully housetrained. We discovered over the last few days that she isnt housetrained at all and is weeing and pooing everywhere. This bit is fine, I can handle having to housetrain. What I cant handle is being told she is excellent with children and then having to witness her try to bite Maddisons face :evil: :evil: I am fuming. We thought we were getting a small well behaved dog for Maddison to play with (my Mum has the exact same dog and he is fantastic with Maddison) and what we got is a little dog who doesnt like small children, barks at everyone and everything and cost us £180 :wall: :wall: :wall: I dont know what to do :( :( :( :(

did you take her to play with the dog etc before you bought her?

Take it back, and ask for a refund?! :?

Pop it in the local paper and flog!!

Oh no.. You have to take her back or to the RSPCA... you can't have a dangerous dog near your baby :(

You know you have to take her back hun. Thats a shame,

Any animal is so unpredictable :( . Did the people you got it from have children?

Hmmm how old is this dog?

Also it takes time for a dog to settle in. And a new home, new people, she is probably trying to find her feet and needs to know who the boss is. And obviously at the moment your daughter isn't big enough or old enough to command her respect. Once the dog knows who the pack leader is and where she is in the pecking order she may settle.

I'd go back to the breeder and ask for your money back and let her take the dog back. Any reputable breeder will do this. If its refused then I'd go to the Chinese Crested rescue to try to home her. Don't just advertise in the local paper as she needs to go to a home who can cope with her. She isn't a bad dog is my guess. Just needs time and to be brought on slowly. Also maybe a home without small children.

FWIW I'd have said the breed was far from ideal with small children. Most of these toy breeds tend to snappiness and bad temper. I'd never have one for this reason.

Best dog to have for children is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel IMHO. Absolutlely wonderful with people and kids. Really docile and friendly.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. Hopefully if you look for a new dog you can make sure you all spend time with the dog as a family before bringing it home. We spent 3 hours with our dog at the breeders before we decided he was right for us. Put him through his paces and so on. We could see in that time the kind of dog he was and how he might be at home.

Hi everyone, I have calmed down a bit now. When we went to see the dog we took Maddison with us to see what they were like together and the dog actually didnt go near her at all so we figured it was just because she was used to children. The previous owner had 3 children above the age of 4 so I think the dog just doesnt like little children. I'm in no way keeping the dog. I have contacted the previous owner and told her whats happened and how I feel and she is going to talk to her husband about buying her back. Meanwhile I have advertised her for sale and stated that she doesnt like little children so that this doesnt happen to someone else.
Think we are going to stay dogless until Maddison is older now :(

Sherlock, I know it can take time for a dog to settle into a new home but I just cant risk it. We didnt get her from a breeder, she was advertised. The previous owner said she had to rehome her due to work commitments. She is a year old and not housetrained either :shock: She is a nice dog otherwise but I just cant have her around Maddison now :(

Snuggle said:
Sherlock, I know it can take time for a dog to settle into a new home but I just cant risk it. We didnt get her from a breeder, she was advertised. The previous owner said she had to rehome her due to work commitments. She is a year old and not housetrained either :shock: She is a nice dog otherwise but I just cant have her around Maddison now :(

I'm not saying you should risk it. Just that it does take time. Alas this dog sounds like she is not familiar with small children. Probably as she has not been brought up with them. Its not her fault. I always feel a bit let down when I read someone rehoming a young dog due to work or some such. Why get one in the first place :|

As it was a private sale it might be a bit more tricky to get your money back. You'd hope it won't be an issue and they will refund you. Fingers crossed for you they give you it back :)

If and when you do get another dog I would always suggest going to a reputable breeder and making sure they will take the dog back if it really is unsuitable. Most good breeders won't sell you a puppy or dog if they really feel its not a good match. Buying through the small ads you can never be sure. You can't be 100% sure through a breeder I realise, but I've generally found them far better to deal with in that they would rather take one of their dogs back then see them sold on and risk a miserable life or being sold on again etc. I've never had a bad dog from a breeder yet and we've had plenty over the years. Same with dogs from rescue centres. Always been good. But most rescue centres won't rehome a dog if there are children under 5 regardless of the dog being used to them or not. They just won't risk it. We were turned down by no end of rescue centres when I was PG and looking for a new dog. In a way I'm glad they take such a strong view. And we found a lovely dog and of a breed we wanted so :)

Im sorry you have had a bad experience Jools and hope maddison is ok - i tsker my greyhound for granted and reading these posts i know now how fab she is.

You poor thing though, if you want a cat, you can have one, mollys kittens are due anyday and they will be housetrained and will be used to small children lol!

Thanks Sherlock, will be a lot more sensible next time round and go with a reputable breeder but think we will leave it a little while until Maddison is a wee bit older :hug:

mrs_tommo, hubby hates cats but thank you lol :hug: :hug:

Sherlock said:
Best dog to have for children is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel IMHO. Absolutlely wonderful with people and kids. Really docile and friendly.

We had one of these and had to get him rehomed as he went for Arianna and she was nowhere near him. :(

Any dog whatever the breed has the potential to be snappy etc so there is no such thing as the perfect breed for kids.
Sorry it didnt work out but you must do what is the safest thing for your family as they are number 1.

No, I dont think she is going to either :( I'm so on edge now and I have Maddisons birthday party on Sunday and have to find somewhere for the dog to go because I'm not having her around everyones babies :(

you should insist she take the dog back and refund the money or tell her you will go to trading standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back