How to fit in meals and bottles

Olive

Reaction score
How do you do it?

I've been doing bottle then an hour later a meal but he seems to be rapidly going off of his bottles, so much so I'm now worrying if he's getting enough milk :wall2:. Last week he was still downing bottles and food. I was thinking this morning, maybe leaving a 2hr gap, but then it might interfere with naps.

How much milk should he be getting? He's 6 months next week. I appreciate milk is more important at his age which is why I want to ensure he's getting enough.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks PP was helpful reading that as I now know 20oz or more. It has been going really well and now I'm a stress head over it all!

x

Oh don't I'm really pushing for Tyler having a nap every hour and 45! So with that and lunch (food) and normal feeds I'm struggling to get out the house!!

How may ounces will he drink per bottle on average?

Alot of Parents give milk straight after food but with Jack we did breakfast, mid morning milk, lunch, mid afternoon milk, dinner, bedtime milk, nightime feed until he slept through. Although Jack has never had the 'average' amount of milk for his age at any stage. At Brody's age we were lucky if he took 3oz per bottle!! He's slim but very healthy so we don't worry.

Leaving it 2hrs after food before milk sounds like a good idea :) x

Thanks love. He takes at the mo about 4-5 whereas previously was 6 or 7. He's dropped his night feed pretty much and isn't interested in bottle when he wakes up in night.

It really is just trial and error. Their routine changes all the time as they grow then from 18 months-ish the routine tends to stick until they drop day time naps altogether.

I really wouldn't worry about him not getting the 'average' ounces in every day, especially as he's having food too. Some babies drink well above average and some way under. I think Jack's supposed to be on two 8-9oz bottles, he has 4oz at bed time if we're lucky and thats it!! If he drank 9oz I think he'd explode! We just make sure he has plenty of dairy in his diet instead x

Last edited:
Thanks CB that makes me feel much better. He's had 8oz in total so far today. 2 x 4oz wouldn't take more. X

olive i'm the same at the min, ruby seems to be dropping feeds in the day but waking in the night for them . shes now on 3 meals a day and she use to have 8 oz bottels since she has been on solids she has been messing about with her milk alot so i have reduced them to 6oz the only time she will drink a full bottel now is at night time .

xx

has he dropped any bottle completely? When Will started he quickly went from 6 bottles to 5 as he wasn't finishing any of the six. The more solids i am now introducing i am finding he isn't doing 5 so he is now down to 4. I believe at 7 months they are meant to be down to 3 bottles so i think it might be natural reduction iykwim? xx

He dropped the night one which was nice, although was still waking but going down without, but last few nights he's been worse and have offered him one. Last night he took 2oz at 11. He's just not fussed.

Today he's has spot on 4oz each bottle (and spat a little bit up last feed. 3 bottles so far

Thanks for replies xxxx

My little guy is a bit younger but he now has 3 meals and his routine is:
5.00 - 9oz bottle
7.30 - breakfast (porridge with fruit and water)
11.30 - lunch (veg puree followed by yoghurt) and 5oz bottle
3.00 - 9oz bottle
5.00 - tea (fruit puree with baby rice and water)
7.30 - 9 oz bottle
dunno if that is right but he is happy and putting on weight, they obviously will stop having as much milk as you wean them, I got told that they should have 3 meals and 3 bottles.
xxx

James will be 17 weeks on Thursday he has a 9oz bottle at 6......porridge at 8....a bottle that varies between 4-9oz at 12 if below 9 he has fruit as well then at 3 he has veg and a 3-5oz bottle then at 6.30ish he has a 6-9oz bottle......at 6 months they will be eating more an will only need a minimum of a pint of milk (18oz) if in doubt mix milk in with foods xxx

xxx

Thanks. I put an oz in his porridge. Maybe start putting some in food. I think it's odd as he's gone from having 27 - 36 oz so a big difference. He's fine though. Just me worry wart!! X

Hi hun- i c pp told u about my previous thread- hope it helped in some way!.....I was just like u and stressing over it all and worrying about how much and when to do it etc! HV said 1pint a day of milk (600ml) but doesnt have to be in liquid form. If they have less than 500ml of formula a day I think u then have to start on the vitamin drops? We were really struggling with it all for a while but then we started to fall into a naturdal routine around 7months or so when we were up to 3 meals and settling with naps. Currently we do:
-Up between 6-7am
-Breakfast around 7-7.30
-Bf around 8-8.30
-Nap around 9 (usually 1.5hrs)
-Lunch 11.30-12
-Bottle 12-12.30 (atm he is having between 5-6oz but has been down to 4oz then picked up again)
-Nap around 1 (usually 1.5hrs)
-Bottle around 3-3.30 (again around 5-6oz)
-Nap around 4.30-5 (time varies loads- can be 45, but can be another long one!)
-Dinner with me and OH around 6-6.30
-Bed and bottle between 7-8 (this bottle tends to be a bit more at the mo- about 7oz)

Coz he has been varying on the amount of formula we have started vitamin drops.
Try not to worry hunny, I am sure ur LO is just taking what they need and their appetite for milk and food will fluctuate just like us! If u r unsure or concerned try ur HV they did help me! U can't force LO to have more formula, but yeh, putting it in cereal etc is a good idea! :)

Thank you chicky. I will see how it all goes for a week and if not enough speak to hv definitely. Today he's had 22oz so not so bad but that includes 4 from midnight. X

I started weaning a few weeks ago and my lo loves her food! She now having 3 small meals a day and she was having 5x 180ml bottles a day every 3 hours but i found at bedtime she was only drinking 30-60ml or not wanting it so now I've switched to 4x 210 bottles every 4 hours with the 3 small meals and so far she's finished every one including bedtime so tonight she's having a 240ml hopefully she'll finish it. This is how my day goes roughly
6am - bottle
8am - puree
10am - bottle
12am - puree
2pm - bottle
Between 4- 5pm - puree
And bedtime bottle between 6 and 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics