How posh are various names?

Monika

Reaction score
Dear all,

I'm a PhD student doing research on the relation between names and social class - which names are perceived as more or less respectable/fancy/posh. I'd be very grateful if you took a little time - very little, I promise! - to fill out the survey at http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=KOMMKF_93f0788c&UID=3335250816. I've already had a number of replies and interesting tendencies are beginning to show. I still need at least 12 responses before I can publish the results, so please answer the questionnaire!

All the best,
Monika

Last edited by a moderator:
I've filled it in for you - it's quite hard to think just about the name without relating it to people that you know though! I hope the rest of your PhD goes well :)

I did it too. I found it easier if I didn't know a person by that name, otherwise I found myself thinking of that person, rather than the actual name - if that makes sense!! Good luck with your Phd :)

Dear all,

Thank you for taking part in the survey. Here are the ratings based on 143 responses:

Very posh

1. Elizabeth
2. Isabella
3. Victoria
4. Catherine
5. Dorothy

Moderately posh

6. Caroline
7. Jennifer
8. Patricia
9. Rebecca
10. Helen
11. Emma

Not very posh

12. Christine
12. Sarah
13. Barbara
14. Karen
15. Linda

All of these are among the 25 most popular girls' names in the UK.

Among factors contributing to how posh a name is three stand out: length (the longer, the posher), royal connection, and origin – the closer a name is to a Greek or Latin form, the posher it is, and names of Germanic origin typically sound more commonplace.

I'm not even nearly as posh as no. 7! lol
Really interesting tho x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back