How often

l_maclean

Reaction score
Posted in f&n but figured in here is busier!

....did your LO bf at 4months??<br />
<br />
Was talking to my dad - (who reckons my aim for BLW at 6months is daft) - he thinks G will soon be needing baby rice etc. His basis for this is that feeding every approx 2 hours is too much at 4months. he's fairly sure my niece and nephew were much longer by this stage.<br />
<br />
Sometimes she'll stretch it out - but its not often, and not by much - although she does go longer at night.<br />
<br />
I figured that she was probably still on a short time scale because we have to use nipple shields and I have been told that these make for less efficient feeding than a natural latch. <br />
<br />
She is generally still following the 25th line - but should i be trying to stretch her out a bit???<br />
<br />
xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I think 2-3 + hours is fair. That's what Tyler does now tbh. When I stretched him from 2-3 I had some fussing but he was ok. When he was 6 weeks old and the doc got me to stretch him from 1-2 hours he yelled and yelled and yelled but going from 2-3 was different so I think he was ready and maybe I was too quick to feed iykwim?

No disrespect but how many children has he breastfed?

Well, that's what I said, plus while do tend to give previous generations their respect (most of my friends are his age) I don't think any of the kids he's dealt with were still bf at 4months, my mum says she didn't last this long with us, and my SIL got 6weeks with her first, and nothing on the 2nd!!!

I just wanted some reassurance!! Sometimes I do wonder if I'm too quick to feed, as she goes longer for others. And if we are out. Xxx

Just a question I know you express and give her bottles sown times. How long does she go when she gets a bottle?

I think that at 4 months she should go more than 2 h as her sucking should be more efficient and get a food amount of milk to last at least 3-4 h.
But probably the shields don't let her do that?
But at the end of the day you have to feed her...
I don't think that baby rice is re solution by then thats just me. I am quite against earlier than 5-6 months weaning.
But you know your baby don't let your dad or anyone else interfere with your instincts :hug:

I know you asked about bf but just wanted to add that Chloe was feeding every 2 hours if not less at 4 months and that was combi feeding. She had her big 4 month growth spurt and then went from feeding 11/2-2 hours to 4 hours at 5 months so in the space of about 3 weeks. I did nothing to persuade her to do it she just did it in her own time.

Personally I would let her make her own feeding routine especially if you are happy to feed that often, but of course you know the right thing to do for your LO :)

Just a question I know you express and give her bottles sown times. How long does she go when she gets a bottle?

I think that at 4 months she should go more than 2 h as her sucking should be more efficient and get a food amount of milk to last at least 3-4 h.
But probably the shields don't let her do that?
But at the end of the day you have to feed her...
I don't think that baby rice is re solution by then thats just me. I am quite against earlier than 5-6 months weaning.
But you know your baby don't let your dad or anyone else interfere with your instincts :hug:

her bottles are all over the place tb. I generally only use them when she's with someone else - like left at g/parents. Sometimes she'll down 2 5oz bottles in one go. ( way more than and bm calculator suggests she needs) - but the next time we're out they hardly use anything. iykwim.

the HV said that the shields mean less efficient feeding generally - but she still doesnt latch properly - so its them or nothing.

I also probably dont pay a HUGE amount of attention to when she gets fed. I just tend to go with her cues. I mean the other day I went out to opticians and she was asleep when i left - i expected her to wake up soon after I went out an need fed - but she was still asleep when i came home nearly 2 hours later - so she must have gone at LEAST three hours then.

xxx

I think we were every 2.5 hrs at 4months and gradually went to 3, sometimes 3.5 x

Well after posting that, she went for a sleep, I hovered about waiting for her to wake about 6.30ish, thinking I'd feed her before I went dancing.

Just got home to find DH still on the first 5oz bottle (2left) - and that was since maybe about 5ish!! :shock:

Gonna try pay more attention to timings over the next few days.xxx

between 2 and 3 hours - I think I was feeding too often for a while as just offered everytime she seemed upset now I try to wait at least 2 hours as she seems ready for it then

Can't comment on 4 months but t chops goes 3-4 hours between feeds at 12 weeks.

I do think mums who breastfeed can be quick to whip out a booby if the baby is upset if they aren't sure there is definite hunger, whereas babies who are FF I think feeding would be lower down the list of things to try due to making up of bottle etc.

K eats every 2.5-3 hours. I feed on demand though and wouldn't try stretching out feeds. I wouldn't be concerned unless she suddenly didn't seem satisfied after feeds or started shortening the times between feeds. If you weren't worried before your Dad brought it up, then you are fine! Xx

I wasn't worried, but I know that now we are at 4months, everyone's gonna start on about weaning etc. xxx

I am visiting my family right now and everyone is trying to convince me to wean! I am not against weaning before 6 months but won't do it without my doctor's approval. I didn't realize that weaning would be such a big deal to everyone else in my life though, especially my Dad lol.

I'm not against it either, and if it gets to the point where she seems to really want/need food then so be it. I've noticed a jump in her interest in the last week or so, but the she now puts everything in her mouth!! Lol

We're going away with my folks for a week soon, and I'm kinda dreading all the remarks!! Xxx

L-Maclean, I am quite similar to you. My boy is 16weeks and I kind of do as you do in regards to feeding. Generally follow his cues and sometimes can be 2hours between a feed, sometimes 4, it really seems to depend on him. I think the 'older' generations are always gonna have something to say because 'in their time they did....' but doesn't always make it right. If you are happy as you are feeding your daughter to her cues, just keep at it. It's up to you when to wean her. I think I will probably try wee tastes with him when he is about 5months but playing by ear x

I read something called 'African babies don't cry' and ever since I've offered the breast whenever he fusses, he's a much happier less whingy baby but it's at least every 2hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back