how early to become a cloth bum?

Sandi4Paul

Reaction score
We really want to use reusable nappies, but we've also heard it is best to start in disposables at the start to get the hang of things.

MY DH asked his work mates who said don't chnage until 6 months old. However they were all males and while i don't want to say what would they know, well what would they know?

can anyone else give hints or tips on when you can change over?

thank you

Sandi

Seren was a week old when we started using cloth (i bought a pack of dispos so i could get a free changing bag which i never used), Cally has been a cloth bum since birth. Not a problem at all, I have noidea why you would need to wait till 6 months :?

I started using reusables at 5 weeks but wished that I could have started earlier. I waited because the brand of reusables I bought were only suitable from 7lbs as they are a 1 size nappy and they were too wide around the legs on Kathryn when she was first born. I was also waiting a while until the poos were a little more predictable she went through a phase at the beginning of routinely pooing the moment I had changed her!

I love using the reusable nappies and am soooo glad I persuaded my OH to go with it- I love the fact that we're not adding much to landfill and that I no longer have to worry about finding that £5 to buy nappies when I'm struggling to find cash for bread and milk! I only need to do a nappy wash once every 3 days :cheer:

We started at about 5 weeks I think it was because up until then I didn't have any cloth nappies apart from a few odd ones I'd bought to try. I'd wanted to wait to see how big she was before I bought a set. In future I would probably start earlier but with Becky being my first I'm not sure I could have coped with nappies AND wraps in the first zombiefied weeks!

I think Stanley was about 6 weeks, but he would have been a few months before we were full time. I bought little and often and tried each type before investing in more.

It was the best way for us but I'd probably go cloth from birth next time now I know a bit more. :)

I've been using the since Finlay was a week old

We've been using them since birth. I really didn't want my baby to be wearing uncomfortable paper and chemicals next to her very sensitive skin. I've ought some chemical free disposables for emergencies but I don't actually plan to use them. We've only just started with reusable wipes though, instead of cotton wool.

We started properly when Evie was about 2 weeks, that was because we had a few different trial nappies before we decided on the ones we liked and then had to wait a few days for the proper pack to be delivered.

There really is no need to wait. The only thing I would say is to use disposables while in hospital to let the meconium pass through, its really tarry and quite digusting :D

we started at a few days old when the meconium had gone.

I've started switching to cloth this week, Logan is 6 weeks old.

I don't think I could have coped with it in the first couple weeks with trying to get the breast feeding established, but I think after that I would have been ok.

I would get a pack of disposables in for the first few days

I started when Morgan was about 4 weeks old but it was really hard to find a cloth nappy for his skinny legs, we use cloth wipes too. I keep a pack of huggies for the night as i cannot find a cloth nappy that wont leak which is very annoying, but it means a pack lasts a month! hehe.

I do a nappy wash every 3 days.

Meconium washes out no bother. We started with folded uslins as we didn't want to destroy our new nappies but as soon as we found that it washed out we used the nappies. There are no stains or anything like that.

From 6 days old - when he came home from hospital. I actually find them less stressful than disposables...and much less smelly.

i am planning on using ours as soon as we are home from hospital- want to be and out as quick as possible anyway! :hug:

We started after about 5 days once the mad visiting was over - but I won't wait next time - I'll use as soon as we get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back