How Do You Test For Group B Streptococcus?

lilacdoll

Reaction score
I am currently 5 months pregnant and have undergone a lot of different test. the next test would be a Group B Streptococcus swab, how do you test for group B streptococcus? Is this test very important?

They don't swab for strep b in the UK unless it shows in your urine at your booking in appointment. NICE guidelines are not to routinely test for it as its a transient bacteria that can come and go so a clear swab doesn't mean you won't have strep b at delivery and vice versa. If you're in the UK and test privately the NHS won't necessarily act on the results x

My hospital give u antibiotics in labour and then test if ur labour is over x amount of hours. It's also pointless going for a test now as it can come and go so you would be wasting your money. It could come back negative but then 3 days later you could have it then it goes again.

I have never been tested for strep b and my son was born with this and ended up in intensive care :(

Different areas have different procedures. As I said mi e do it whilst your in labour as it's pointless doing it before as it can come and go. It's best to ask your mw if and when they test. They should also confirm what I have said. Some areas only test you if your showing signs. My husbands cousins wife had a baby in Jan and had the same thing. She was not tested and he got ill. His fine now but it was scary.

I bought a private test and tested at 35 weeks. It was positive and therefore hospital's plan was to give me antibiotics during labour... In the end my delivery was only 2.5hous and therefore I did not have time for any! My daughter and myself just stayed in for observations for 12 hours. :)

As far as I am aware Royal college of obs guidelines and Nice guidelines state that if you have a positive result (even if it is private test) you should have antibiotics during delivery.

I am currently 5 months pregnant and have undergone a lot of different test. the next test would be a Group B Streptococcus swab, how do you test for group B streptococcus? Is this test very important?

Yes, this is important and essential to protect your baby. This test involves a swab of both the vagina and the rectum. By the way, if you want to find out more about group B streptococcus screening, I suggest that you check on this article: Group B Strep Test. It will help you understand everything.

Last edited:
No point in testing until 37 weeks at the very earliest.
Both me and my son had GBS and he was in NICU on IV antibiotics. I had IV antibiotics too. I didn't have a test or anything but my waters were left broken for 42 hours before delivery and we contracted it in that time unfortunately.

This showed in my urine so from that day I got a big sticker on my notes GROUP B STREP :roll: I had to have IV antibiotics during labour whether I had the infection on the day or not. And in my next pregnancy I'll have to have the same.

My cousin had strep B, but obviously as it isn't routinely tested for she didn't know & her son was born with Meningitis. :( He's healthy now. Personally I would test.

Hi, guys! Thank you for reading my thread and sharing your thoughts/experiences. Yes, now I know that it is really important to have this test. They said that if Strep B is not treated, this may affect the newborn baby and may cause sepsis and meningitis which are life threatening. And for the procedure, I just read that "the test to detect this bacteria is given around the 35-37 week mark in your pregnancy. Your doctor will gently swab the vaginal and rectal area and send it into a lab for testing." I'm not sure if this is kinda painful or what? Any idea? Thanks.

Source: http://www.pregnancy-calendars.net/group-b-strep-test/

Last edited:
They swabbed me after I had my sweep done with my son then I went into labour the next day and had him 3 days later I had a phone call from my Gp saying I tested positive and I'd need antibiotics when I went into labour and baby would need them too after delivery, a bit late I said he's already here, my advice is, if you can get the test get it, I could have cried to think my little boy could have died from this

If you buy a private test you have to do it yourself and send it back in the post. It wasn't difficult or painful :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back