How do you get medicine into your little ones?

Daniel's Mummy

Reaction score
As the title says.......... How do you get your little ones to have medicine?

Daniel is currently on anitbiotics for tonsilitis and he has been fine for the last 2 days but today it has been a nightmare to get him to have them.

I'm getting so stressed because he's so poorly and I know he'll get better if he has them. I've been crying tonight I feel so useless.

Help would be very much appreciated :pray:

I use a plastic syringe from the chemist. Baby Nureofen also has a sort of plastic syringe with it. For the most part, mines are quite happy to take medicine but if not, I try to aim the syringe for the side of the mouth. I also bribe but I think yours might be too wee for that yet.

Good luck!

I use a syringe too... Evie actually sucks the calpol out of it...when she sees the bottle she gets a bit excited! :rotfl:

If you feel in your own mouth there is a cavity called the 'buccal' cavity where the gums go in slightly under the teeth (should be either side of your chin). I was trained in work to inject medicines here with a syringe as it has more chance of staying put-aim for this area and you shouldn't get too much dribbling out. :)

pilkers said:
I use a syringe too... Evie actually sucks the calpol out of it...when she sees the bottle she gets a bit excited! :rotfl:

Yeah Finlay does this too. We use the spoon and its clean by the time he's finished with it and he screams for more :lol:

lil miss had antibiotics for her urine infection and it smelt vile so no doubt it tasted the same, and lil miss made sure we knew that... the only way I managed to do it was to mix a dose of calpol in with it... a low dose... and then reduce the mls of calpol... She only had the antibiotics 2 times a day and at first was in pain when she pee'd so she needed the calpol. We put it in a syringe... and eventually she just got used to taking it without the calpol.

I was told about the buccal cavity by my mum too but sometimes just getting it in her mouth was a pain :rotfl: but now shes really good and just sucks it out :lol: then likes to play with the syringe :rotfl:

We have a nightmare getting any medicine into Q. As soon as he sees the syringe he hits it away. I have to wait until he is having a brestfeed then try to squirt the medicine onto the top of the breast just above the nipple so that runs down and ends up in his mouth. Crazy I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back