• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How can I overcome my fear of...

laetitia85

Reaction score
Flying?

We are going to the Carribean in the summer, to visit my in-laws. but I hate flying. I always have panic attacks when I fly.

Does anyone have the same problem? what can i do to be reassured??

:cry:

I am petrified of flying- Bach's rescue remedy works a treat though. I swear by it (and I know a lot of ladies have it in their labour bags it's that good! :lol: )

I can't help as I enjoy flying, but my MIL is petrified of it even thought they have travelled and lived all over the world. She says the bands that you put round your wrists for travel sickness helps so calm her.

aww i'm sorry you have this fear, I can't help cos I just refuse to fly, I have even found a website that tells you how to get anywhere in the world without flying :lol: I hope you do manage to find something, have you thought of going to see your doctor?

My OH's friend went on one of these fear of flying courses and at the end of a full day session you go on a plane and he now enjoys flying :shock: He's never been on a plane though so I think it was the fear of the unknown. I have been a few times when I was a teenager and enjoyed it at first then developed panic attacks etc.

Let me know if you find something that works, I would love to get over my fear as Jack gets older as I don't want to pass it onto him :hug:

last year i was taking panic attacks regularly and was going on holiday. i let my doctor know and he prescribed me some diazepam for the flight :D quite a low dosage, but it really chilled me out for the duration, think it was like a 5 hour flight..

i know it's not really a long term solution, but if worst comes to worst, you can always do that :hug:

I dont have a soloution for you but just wanted to say I am the same and we are off to Italy at the end of August! I am totally petrified, and I am even worse thinking about taking Clark too! I dont want to take any sedatives because I want to be totally with it for Clarks benefit but at the same time I think I am going to be panicked all the way and spend our entire honeymoon thinking about the flight back! :cry:

there is a brilliant book that we have at work. i was told about it from my boss and it explains everything about why planes make the noises that they do loads of info that breaks all the 'scary' stuff down into easy to understand in the idea that if you understand what the noises are etc then you are not as scared of them.
when im back at work tomorrow ill hunt down the title of the book for you.

and im sure you know, but flying is the safest form of transport!

thanks girls...
I wanna print off this thread so I can consider my options.

I know it is the safest mean of transport but it's still my biggest phoebia.

but thanks again everyone :hug: :hug: :hug:

I've sent you a REALLY long pm honey! :D
Sorry, I got carried away!

Just to say, mention it to the airline staff when you board the aircraft, the wil be really good with reassurance and help you settle better, check on you and really just offer an even better service than usual. Have fun in the Caribbean, it's a really great destination were heading back in February so have a wonderful time.

oh hun, i know exacty how you feel, i have a huge fear of flying & we are going to Turkey in June & i am petrified to the piont where i could honestly cancel :(

we last flew 3 yrs ago & i didn't realise i was scared till then coz i hadn't till then flown for 12yrs, so i'd had a huge gap of not flying.

i hated it, cried when we took off, gripped the seat the whole way & was genuinely terrified & we had Josh & Georgia with us.

thats stopped us going anywhere for the last 3yrs.
i'm deffo getting something from the doc, coz i can't go through that again.
i lie in bed thinking about it :(

the book that *star* mentioned, my friend was talking about today & she said she'll try &dig it out for me.

why don't you think of getting something from the doc?xx

Happybunny said:
I've sent you a REALLY long pm honey! :D
Sorry, I got carried away!

THANK YOU!!! I can't wait to read it. i saved it on my PC and will read it as soon as I can, I'm just putting LO to bed now :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

foxymum said:

I had no idea I could do that, until I read all the replies. I will definately discuss it with my GP :hug:

laetitia85 said:
foxymum said:

I had no idea I could do that, until I read all the replies. I will definately discuss it with my GP :hug:

yes you can, discuss your fear with your GP & they should determine how bad the fear is to what they prescribe you.
my mum has Larazipan (sp!) whcih she says calms her down, but she is alert as normal.
but our friends that emigrated to the States nearly 3 yrs ago, he has Valuim which totally knocks him out (this is what i'd prefer!)
good luck & let me know when you're going to see the doc :hug:

Valium!!!

First time I flew was on honeymoon back in 1998 I think, to the caribean. I was absolutley petrifed, saw my doc and he gave me valium.

Go see your doctor. Also they may do courses at your local airport for fear of flying.

I have a fear of flying so I know how you feel. I avoid going away. I know this is not a solution. I would be interested to hear the advice.

Oh, I know how you feel. I hate flying, but only do it because it's necessary when going abroad. I hate sitting in busses or cars for long journeys. Trains I can handle, but going to Japan from the Netherlands would have been a bit too much, don't you think? :wink:

I'm flying all by myself in two weeks. I've always flown with someone I know be it family or friends. This is the first time I'll be with no one. Any recommendations, ladies/gentlemen?

emeraldsroses said:
Oh, I know how you feel. I hate flying, but only do it because it's necessary when going abroad. I hate sitting in busses or cars for long journeys. Trains I can handle, but going to Japan from the Netherlands would have been a bit too much, don't you think? :wink:

I'm flying all by myself in two weeks. I've always flown with someone I know be it family or friends. This is the first time I'll be with no one. Any recommendations, ladies/gentlemen?

Im exactly the same, I cant go on long car journeys. I think mine is the not being in control and feeling claustophobic - I really want to overcome this

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back