Home grown veggies

thanks thats a really big help. My friend told me aldi are doing loads of gardening stuff and ours is on a retail park next to a poundshop so I think Ill go down there today and see what I can find. :yay: what kinds of things are you guys planting now? Is it too early to be putting in root veg?

Just been to Asda they have some good offers. I normally read the back of packet to tell you when to plant. I've just done onions in a grow bag too. And got my herbs In x x

Interesting thread I'd really like to grow some of my own veg and hope to think more about it when I move!

:D x

We have started to clear the veg patch now :) There are sooooo many stones in the soil here though that we have a hell of a job on our hands.

I just put the seeds from any tomatoes that i enjoy eating and put them onto so kitchenroll on a warm windowsil to dry out and then i put them in seed pots with just a tiny bit of dirt on top - they were coming up a treat until the greenhouse went :(

Not sure where i'd tie mine up Smess, but it's a good idea. We tried weighting it down with a HUGE pot full of plants and it still went.

Might just grow them inside this time.

Bought some red and white onions, peas and runner beans just tyo start us off :) Will hopefully get them in by weekend :good:

QUESTION:
We have chickens and save the poopy bedding in a bin. Hubby wants to tip it onto the veg patch but it STINKS and i said that if it smells it isn't ripe enough to use but he says i'm talking rubbish, but i've never used manure in my garden that still ponged... what do you think?

Last edited:
They use chicken poop as fertiliser on the fields here and believe me, it certainly stinks when they spread it :lol:

lol - do they use it at the end of the season or at the start? Do they spread the smelly stuff right before they plant?

Oh We have not long moved our to the little greenhouse outside as it's been freezing here!

I need to pot on some of the peppers and chillis etc this weekend - they are getting big now!

Tiny as Smess said the growbags from pound shop are brill - I only ordered top soil as we made a raised bed - a tonne of soil and 9 bags of horse manure later and it was still not full....but good enough for us to start with - we can build the soil structure up more next year! It's currently covered with black plastic to try and warm the soil up a little for the seeds.
We will be doing potatoes and carrots in very large pots tho

From what I have read any manure should be "well rotted" before using in the garden - they normaly say to pile it and cover is with black plastic for at least 6 months - we got it from a farm close by that had done all of it for us tho.....A LOT cheaper than buying the bags of manure from the garden centres!! The well rotted stuff does smell but it is a really sweet smell rather than a poo stinky smell lol

I am really excited about this year and giving it a go! (God I am so sad lol) xx

Ok, so we just decided to dump the chicken poo onto the veg patch and oh. my. god.

I have never smelt anything so vile in my entire life. If you could imagine rotten sprouts and stale puke - it was like that.... times a million! :sick:

Hubby starts to gag if he has to pick up a dog poo and there he is turning purple holding his breath and digging as fast as i've ever seen him do anything his entire life while i stood there howling with laugher and the occasional gag lol

My dog came over later and gave me a nice wet lickery kiss - she has clearly been eating the chicken poo soil :shock:

I don't think we are going to be able to plant into it for a few weeks now :eh: I hope it won't be too late in the season.

I'm going to get my tomatoes going tomorrow i think - fab weather we've got atm :)

Where is everyone else upto?

Ok, so we just decided to dump the chicken poo onto the veg patch and oh. my. god.

I have never smelt anything so vile in my entire life. If you could imagine rotten sprouts and stale puke - it was like that.... times a million! :sick:

Hubby starts to gag if he has to pick up a dog poo and there he is turning purple holding his breath and digging as fast as i've ever seen him do anything his entire life while i stood there howling with laugher and the occasional gag lol

My dog came over later and gave me a nice wet lickery kiss - she has clearly been eating the chicken poo soil :shock:

I don't think we are going to be able to plant into it for a few weeks now :eh: I hope it won't be too late in the season.

I'm going to get my tomatoes going tomorrow i think - fab weather we've got atm :)

Where is everyone else upto?

:rofl: sounds like you had fun. My parents dog eats the chickens poo alllll the time :roll:

Sweetcorn, runner beans and courgettes - much better than buying from the supermarket. I have been growing for 5 years and hardly buy any veg at all. Oh, grow your own strawberries too - absolute bliss to go and pick them straight from the garden and have them with cream....heaven.....

Don't forget to make your own compost too. Any kitchen waste, minus meat waste as it goes putrid, grass clippings and old pet bedding/shavings etc. You can build a simple compost bin using wooden pallets and cover it all with a bit of old carpet. Leave for a year and spread liberally on your garden. It;s fab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back