high temperature! :(

melhoney

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Maheen started having temperature yesterday morning, at 38.3 celsius. I gave her clapol and monitored it all day. she was "ok", more excited than usual, and temperature would not go down, even with Calpol, and/or Nurofen, but it wasn't going up either!

In the evening though, it started increasing, and we got slightly concerned as she vomited her soup, and then, refused to eat more and only drank 100ml of milk, instead of 220ml!

Just before I was going to go to sleep, I checked on her, and she actually was woken up inher bed, and boiling!!!!!!!!!!!! 39.7!!!!

We decided to take her to Emergencies, and after 2 hours over there, and a check up with only showed her heartbeat was a bit too fast, but nothing else (well, she is coughing as well, but has been for 1 year or so, and no one ever cared to get worried apart from hubby and I!), they told us we could take her back home. They gave her calpol as well, and temperature kind of went down a bit, but not that much. They were not quite sure why Maheen has got temperature, but they said to just keep an eye on her!

We gave her Calpol night again as we got back home, and she slept well till 7:30 this morning. She still had 38.6 temp, but drank her 240ml of milk. Took more calpol and back to bed straight away as we had come back from hospital at 2am!!!
She then woke up at 11:00, and temperature was still 39!!! o gave her nurofen.

she only has a runny nose and a cough that she has been for ages!!!!!!

Anybody has any idea what might be going on? Should I take her to GP again?

She had taken her lunch well, and I have jut given her some more calpol as her temp is still 38.2. She is in bed again now.
Am I doing the right thing? Gosh, I try to put on a clam face but she has never had high temperature for so long, and it's getting to me now, esp. that there are no signs of what's wrong! not teething, no rash,...NOTHING!

Mel x

Keeley had a high temp about 2 weeks ago it was 39.7 when i took her to hospital and they said she had a viral inferction and said to give her calpol.
But the next day her temp still hadn't gone back to normal so i took her to the doctors who said she had a bacterial infection and a ear infection as wel.she was given anti-boiantics (sp)

If your not happy with the treatment you got from the hospital i would take her to your gp and see what they say.

Hope she gets better soon :hug: :hug: :hug:

thank for your quick reply!
wow, that's exactly what they said viral infection!!!!!

They checked her ears and said they were fine!...am gonna check if I can get an appt with GP! I think that's what I want to do deep inside, ...well not so deep, TBH! :)

Mel x

My daughter had this about 2 months ago, we ketp giving her calpol and phoned nhs direct they said to keep an eye on her her temp was nearly 40 hope she gets better soon x

I would go back to the Doctors if Maheen's temperature isn't coming down after giving her Calpol. Trust your instincts.

Hi,
thank for your replies

Well, got an appt with the Gp at 4:50 this afternoon, and we wnet, and came back with same message: keep on with Calpol, and make sure he i not too warmly dressed, and it' viral, and basically there is nothing to do.
he did give a wee samplebottle, but of course, it' very easy to get this from a 20-months old baby! he doesn't think she has a urine infection, but thought we might want to check! ...

She had all her dinner, nearly all her milk, and...when I gave her some nurofen, IT ALL CAME OUT!!!!!!!!!!! :puke:

so she has nothing n her stomach again! it's 21:16 now, she has been in bed for an hour or so, and she is still not sleeping! she is chatting happily to herself! I went in her room, checked her temp, and it's again 38.6! She was in her sleeping bag, so I have removed it and have put her under bedsheets only (but I am not sure she is gonna be comfy because she has always slept in a sleeping bag! :wall: )

I don't know what to do, if I give her more calpol I am worried it will give her stomach pain as it is empty!!
I am nackered, my head turns when I stand up quickly, hubby is also ill, it's not great in our house, I am telling you!
am supposed to go to work on Thursday and Friday (I am part-time), but I don't think they will take Maheen with such high temperature, and actually it's not the point, if she is not well, she is not and I don't want her to be anywhere away from me! Also, it's apparently viral, so other kids could take it, and again, I would not want that!
But on the other hand, I can't miss work, being there only 2 days a week is already not much, so I don't want to miss more!

:wall: :twisted: grrrrr, it is never ending! since July, it's been sickness after sickness...I think we have had enough!

mel x

You poor thing and poor Maheen. What a worry.
Are you alternating the Calpol and the Nurofen?
I was told if the temp was very high, you could give both together.
Calpol is every 4 hours and Nurofen every 6 but to a maximum of 4 doses each in 24 hours.
If you time it right, you can get her covered with either Calpol or Nurofen throughout the whole day and night and the two together should bring down her temperature.
Give her little sips of water as often as you can and keep her room as cool as poss.
I'm sure you know all of this already!
Hope she is well soon. Blimey - I'd be a nervous wreck by now!
Thinking of you. L x

thanks forthe kind words!!! I need it, really!

We had again one of those nights! Temperature raised to 40.7! :shock:
even with alternating Calpol and nurofen! uually she goes to sleep nicely, but last night, she chatted to herself for a good one hour before falling asleep. Then, she woke up again at midnight, and as she was so hot, I took her out of the bed, put ome water on her forehead and neck, and legs. She went back to sleep till 3:00am when she woke up again, and stated chatting to herself or her teddies... :roll: We bought a new lampshade from Ikea last weekend, which kind of matches the new bedding set, and he just can't get over it!!!! he keeps on saying how "joli" (beautiful) it is, and I think that's why she wakes up at night: she tell all her teddies and dolls how beautiful her new bedroom is!!!!!! :rotfl:

Anyway, went back to see her then, gave her more calpol, and water, and back to sleep till 6:30, when she just wanted to get out of bed! so he and I and hubby haven't slept that much and well again!

she had 180ml of milk and he plays nicely on her blanket in the leaving room, in front CBEEBIES, she likes it! :D

Her temp has gone miraculously down to a 37.9 and now is 37.6!!! :shock:
I just don't know how or why!
room is not too hot, and she only wears her bodyvest, just like yesterday.
he has taken some orange juice as well, and I am off to try and give her some cereals...let's see!

Then, it will be back in bed!

I do use both Calpol and Nurofen, but I am not sure I am timing it well, and TBH, I kind of lose tracks of how much she's had!!! it seems an awful lot to me, but maybe not!

right she had nurofen at 6:30, so I think I can give her Calpol a 10:00...is that right?

Thanks again for not letting me down, I know noone in this country, my dada is doing is olitaire crossing of the atlantic, and my mum is gone to tunisia with one of her friends, so I can't even call anyone for comfort and reassurance that I am not messing up... or some tips!

The GP I saw yesterday (who is Maheen's proper GP but not the one I usually go and see), is a bit "conservative" and doesn't think checking on a baby's temperature at night is the right thing to do... :roll: So he was not the person I felt I could talk to.... hence my long postings on here!
SORRY!
I'll stop here :talkhand:
and let's give the cereals! :pray:
Mel x

Hi

Sorry to hear your lo is not well at the moment. I had somthing similar with Joanna a few weeks back and took her to hospital and was told it was a viral infection and she had an ear infection also.

Regarding the urine sample, they wanted one from Joanna as well and first I was thinking yeah right and how do you expect to get one of them, well here goes and it's quite smart lol. Get a clean nappy and some cotton wool and place the cotton wool between nappy and baby bits and bobs and leave it there for a bit and then when u take nappy off later in say an hr or so hopefully baby would have done a wee and then, ok heres the not so nice bit, squeeze the cotton wool and the wee will then be released into the bottle thing for you and u then have a urine sample.

On the tempreture side of things continue with calpol and nurofin and if u have got one switch a fan on near baby as this helped joanna a bit when her temp was up at 100F, thats what the hospital did and don't over dress baby. The nurses in hospital took Joanna right down to just her vest to cool her down. I was told not to put Joanna in a cool bath or sponge her with a cold flannel either because this can bring their temps down pretty well but when you bring them out of the bath or stop sponging them then the temp can shoot right up again quickly and send them into a fit.

hope baby feels better really soon.

hank you for the advice, quite handy :)

Well, yesterday was a bit better day, temperature came down and stayed down for all afternoon, went up again a bit at night but nowhere near to what it was!
She did not sleep at all during the day, but slept better last night (though she still woke me up 4 times!). Temperature today is between 37.5 and 38.00 so it's ok.

I decided to stay home today though she was a bit better but feared to ruin it all if I let her go to nursery so early. so fingers crossed, that will be for tomorrow! :pray:

About the urine sample. well, grrrrrrrr :twisted:

They gave me what they call a "sticky bag" and I have to say it's great!!! it's a bag with tape around it and you just stick it around the bits, and I just let Maheen go free of her nappy like this, with the bag attached to her! :lol:
she wasn't bothered at all, and soon appeared what we were looking for. I waited for my husband to come back home so he could take it to surgery, and guess what!? :evil: they refused it because it was too late! well, nobody told us that it was supposed to be done before 12:30!!!

Anyway, as the temp. is gone down I think it's not related to a urine infection. Probably just a virale infection!

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and advice, it made me feel less lonely and gave me some bravery to get up in the morning, and not collapse.

I love my baby, I can't be near her without touching or kissing her, but she really get me tired at night! she is actually worse now than when she was a 3 month old baby!!!!Honestly!!!

Anyway, let's hope it's over now, if not, well, there are 5 more days after tomorrow to get it sorted!

Take care everyone,
Mel x

Hi Mel

Glad to hear things are looking better, I can't believe the surgery didnt inform you of their wee practice LOL. I would probably have done the same thing, stupid people. I hope little one is better soon, I know how worried I was when Joanna was really poorly and I was even on the phone to my mate crying and asking what the hell I should do LOL. You're definitely not alone sweety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back