hernia

gooseberry

Reaction score
iv been told i have an umbilical hernia (crappy tummy muscles and heavy lifting at work) i was just wondering if any other ladies have experience of this and pregnancy? doctor and midwife said it may cause problems when i get bigger but they didnt go into details x

My son developed one in his first year - we thought is was because he had awful colic and screamed loads each evening- but I can't be sure that caused it . He had what you can only describe as a squeeky outty belly button ,if you pushed on it you could hear the trapped air and it made a kind of sqeek sound. When he was 5 years old he had an operation in which they placed two perment stitches inside and it was better no sqeeking but still very much an outty.xx

Hey,
My Lo was born with an umbilical hernia because he was prem. No experience with adult umbilical hernias I'm afraid.
Katey 123, that's interesting what you have posted. As my Lo still has the hernia, although its much smaller now. When was it decided that your son was to have an operation to correct his? xxxxxx

don-don, hi, when he began school ,changing for pe etc ,he was very embarassed and self conscious about it , because it did look very different it would poke out and be visible though his t-shirt, so it was only done really for cosmetic reasons and his self esteem .
It was 1 hour surgery at the hosptial under a general ,and he has a tiny 'smile' scar under his button now and it no longer sqeeks . He felt loads better after and even would go swimming with his friends so he got his self esteem back it was well worth the worry of the op itself.
Your the first person I've met who child has an umbilical hernia also so I'm guessing they're not that common .I wish you and your LO all the best xx

gooseberry,hi, I am not am expert and I don't want to frighten you. All I know is what the doctors told me when we were discussing what to do about my son's hernia , the doctor did say that if it was left as a man later in life my son 'could' if he lifted or strained 'could ' have a problem where by some of his stomach 'could ' come through the hole and be trapped in the outer skin . But as this was all 'coulds 'and not would it was not done for a medical reason, as I said to don-don I think it's quite rare and I have no idea what it's like to have one as an adult, All the best xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back