help please

charli

Reaction score
:think: can any one help i had early scan today due to brown dis heartbeat was fine but baby was a week behind with size only 6 not 7 weeks also they said they can see an extra membrane in the sac and over sized amnion what is this any one im scared lost one baby last year at 5 weeks

Hi Charli, I cant really help you, I've no idea what an amion is! But it does sound like you should call or go back to your doctor to understand more. I'm sure they would have told you if there was something to worry about, but for your peace of mind a telephone call would help you.
Good luck!

Hi,
Yea, never heard of amion, what is it? Did they mention scanning soon in the next few weeks or leaving it to 12 week scan? Also usually if they are really worried the midwife would go outside the room and get a dr to explain exactly the problem, if there is one, and council you. Obviously that didn't happen, but I agree with Jemima, phone maternity and get someone to explain everything until you fully understand the situation, go, phone now, they are 24/7, it will put your mind at ease.

Take care
Bev x x

I agree with the others give your doctor or midwife a call and get them to explain things to you properly.

i did ask them but to be honest they dont really know them selfs i think amnion is the sac fluid i have to just wait 3 weeks 4 another scan or if i get red blood or bad pains to ring them so im none the wiser :wall: its just a waiting game 50 50 chance of misscarry so petrafied as u can imagine xx

Charli - just typed "what is amnion" in google and this was the clearest description i could find for you:

"A transparent sac, filled with colorless fluid, surrounding the embryo; the amnion and amniotic fluid protect the developing embryo from shock and permit it to exercise".

I gather from that description that the amnion is not the actual fluid therefore, it's the name for the membrane which forms the sac that holds the fluid.

I tried to delve a bit further, i'm not a doc, so this is just my understanding of some of the medical stuff i read.

From what i can gather there are 2 membranes that cover the fetus. Each of these membranes surround cavaties/spaces which are filled with fluid. The 'amnion' is the inner membrane sac, and the 'chorion' is the outer membrane sac.

I really couldn't find anything which indicated if an enlarged amnion and extra membrane were indicators of miscarriage, or indeed were considered cause for concern. There seemed to be very little on this.

I think it is vital that you ask your doc for a more detailed explanation of the what these are and the implications, in plain English. I don't think it is at all acceptable for doctors to diagnose things and put a name to them but then fail to explain them to you and leave you to go away worrying yourself senseless. It's disgraceful. You have every right to demand that they do this. I am horrified at some of the stuff the women on here have said about docs being rubbish and failing to give them correct information and support.

Anyway, on a positive note, I think the fact that they've found a heartbeat at only 6 weeks is heartening (I was told it's generally 7 before they can really tell), and that you've gone past the point that you miscarried last time. Also it could be that the discharge was just implamentation bleeding.

I hope that helps a little. Don't be afraid to ask LOTS of questions, it's your body. Good luck x

hi thanks every one for your replies your all great im just keeping fingers crossed and will find out as much as poss xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back