HELP Penicillin

Nicky_Jones

Reaction score
Help I have had a bad cough for about 7 weeks now and finally got to the doctors today who perscribed Amoxillin (sp?). Anyway I took the first dose immediately. Only afterward I read on the enclosed leaflet that if you are pregnant or ttc to tell the doctor first. You never get asked that WHILE you are at the doctors. The chances are incredibly slim that I am PG as due to me and hubby being ill and the long commute he has to work now we haven't BD very often at all, once was 2 days before I think my OV day was but I am not sure as I am very new to TTC. Does anybody know if Amoxillin is save if I were. It is obviously too late to try and phone and speak to a doctor.

Thanks

Thats one i'm allergic to so I dont know, but you can get baby safe anti biotics. How long before the 2ww would you be finished with them, or or you in the 2ww?
I woudl ring nhs direct and ask them before you take anymore just to be on the safe side.
Chances are everythign would be ok to take them, but you want to know for sure just incase you are.

just noticed 3 days to testing - i would ring nhs direct and see what they say.

Nicky_Jones said:
Help I have had a bad cough for about 7 weeks now and finally got to the doctors today who perscribed Amoxillin (sp?). Anyway I took the first dose immediately. Only afterward I read on the enclosed leaflet that if you are pregnant or ttc to tell the doctor first. You never get asked that WHILE you are at the doctors. The chances are incredibly slim that I am PG as due to me and hubby being ill and the long commute he has to work now we haven't BD very often at all, once was 2 days before I think my OV day was but I am not sure as I am very new to TTC. Does anybody know if Amoxillin is save if I were. It is obviously too late to try and phone and speak to a doctor.

Thanks

Hi Nicky

I dont know the answer to this question but just wanted to say Hi :wave: :wave: . Can you believe our LO's are 2 now???!!!!! Hope your all well

Not sure nicky but pregnancy is possible so I would give the doc a ring if I were you x

Hi Nikki, thanks for that. It is nice to see another familiar face if you know what I mean. I can't believe where the time has gone! We now having "fun" with potty training. Ellie is doing really well but quite a few accidents still.

I did a load of googling and found this:

In the Collaborative Perinatal Project involving 50,282 mother-child pairs, there were 3,546 mother-child pairs exposed to penicillin derivatives in the first trimester. As a group, there was no significant increase in the risk of malformations. In the Michigan Medicaid Birth Defects Study involving 229,101 pregnancies from 1985 to 1992, there were 8,538 first trimester exposures to amoxicillin. Overall, 317 cases of birth defects were observed (363 expected). There was no evidence of an association between first trimester use of amoxicillin and major groups of malformations. A Danish study of 401 women exposed to amoxicillin during pregnancy from 1991 to 2000 did not find an increased risk of birth defects or adverse outcomes compared to women who had taken no medication. Transient decreases in total conjugated estriol, estriol-glucuronide, conjugated estrone, and estradiol plasma concentrations have been reported in pregnant women who received ampicillin and this may also occur with amoxicillin.

So it sounds promising that is should be OK.

Nicky_Jones said:
Hi Nikki, thanks for that. It is nice to see another familiar face if you know what I mean. I can't believe where the time has gone! We now having "fun" with potty training. Ellie is doing really well but quite a few accidents still.

I did a load of googling and found this:

In the Collaborative Perinatal Project involving 50,282 mother-child pairs, there were 3,546 mother-child pairs exposed to penicillin derivatives in the first trimester. As a group, there was no significant increase in the risk of malformations. In the Michigan Medicaid Birth Defects Study involving 229,101 pregnancies from 1985 to 1992, there were 8,538 first trimester exposures to amoxicillin. Overall, 317 cases of birth defects were observed (363 expected). There was no evidence of an association between first trimester use of amoxicillin and major groups of malformations. A Danish study of 401 women exposed to amoxicillin during pregnancy from 1991 to 2000 did not find an increased risk of birth defects or adverse outcomes compared to women who had taken no medication. Transient decreases in total conjugated estriol, estriol-glucuronide, conjugated estrone, and estradiol plasma concentrations have been reported in pregnant women who received ampicillin and this may also occur with amoxicillin.

So it sounds promising that is should be OK.

I wouldn't trust a website though, i'd ring the doc to be safe.

when i had infected wisdom tooth (few months back) i said i could possibly be pg and they prescribed me amoxycillan instead of metronizadole.

Thanks both! That is reassuring. I remember now I couldn't help noticing there was a note on my records (over her shoulder) saying I was still breastfeeding, which I am not as Ellie stopped when she was 20months, but she didn't ask and may have gone for that because it is save while BF by the looks of things.

Lots of worrying over nothing. AF turned up yesterday. I also did do a pregnancy test on Friday morning as well which was completely negative. I did promise myself I wouldn't do one until I was definitely late.... but it was my birthday so I decided I would test if I wanted to.

hiya hun i'm on Amoxicillin too as i have a chest infection and it's safe in ttc or pregnancy :hug: :hug: :D
sorry af came :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back