*Help badly needed...7 month old started waking at 4am!!!

ClareBear

Reaction score
(Oops meant 7 month old, not month old- now that wouldn't be a problem!!!)

Hello All,

I haven't been contributing much since having my daughter (Elizabeth Honey) but am back now so I really do apologise if this topic has been covered already- I've been checking when I can, particularly trying to have a look at all the familiar names from when I was in Tri 3- Ah those were the days! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but lost my broadband at home for ages...and was cut off from the world, but I'm back now!

Just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips.My little girl has just started waking at 3.30-4am each morning, not crying but fussing a bit and awake and looking for attention really. Most nights we give in and put her in to bed (I know this isn't ideal but we are both working now) but sometimes even this doesn't work she'll just lie there chatting and pulling any part of face or body she can wriggle access to! :) Last night we tried the usual in the dim quiet light - dummy in,quietly soothing, stroking her in the cot, then rocking, I changed her in case her nappy was annoying her even though it wasn't, put her in with us then gave her a bottle which she did take although I wasn't sure it was hunger (but then perhaps it was!!!???) Anyhow about an hour later she dropped back off, we were both due to be up for work at 6am but overslept and you can imagine the mad panic at 7am.

Just to fill you in on the background - She is almost 7 months old now, has always slept very well through the night from an early age, she is taking very well to weaning (8oz formula at 7am, 8oz at 11, pureed veg at lunch, 8oz at 3pm, pureed fruit in the afternoon, some more pureed veg for tea at 5.30 then last 8oz after bath at about 8pm). She has been full time at nursery now for the last week or so and has settled very well. She has however had a wheezy cough (treated with steoids and an inhaler from doc) but it's not the cough or wheeze that seems to wake her and we can clearly see her two bottom teeth about to come through, but again the waking doesn't appear to be directly from a pain or any discomfort.

Anyway (I apologise profusely if I am rambling, I am so so so tired working full time, then evenings of housework and the recent broken sleep!!!!) If anyone has any ideas, similar experiences or tips I would be so very grateful.

I've missed this forum so much!!!!!

x

I wonder if shes maybe going through a growth spurt? Does she want an extra bottle

I had wondered that myself, but don't know how i'd squeeze an extra bottle in! x

Daniel is the same :wall: :wall: And with him its defo hunger. He started to have a bottle at 3.30 am like a clockwork. Every single night :wall:

Try a bottle and see how she does :hug:

I know how difficult it is :hug:

Could be that she needs more food, however she would then wake and cry until you fed her imo.

When Jenna was tiny I bought one of Tracy Hoggs books. One of the things she mentions in something called habitual waking. If she is waking at the same time every morning, then it's a habit. If you have ruled out too hot / too cold / nappy issue / hunger then it's prbably habitual waking. Her solution is this (quote from book):

" parents are often shocked when I suggest the wake-to-slep strategy for habitual night waking. Set our clock an hour earlier than your baby usually wakes and go into his room. Jostle him gently, rub his belly a bit, and stick a dummy in his mouth (if using one) - all of which will help stir him to semi-consciousness. Then, leave. He'll fall back to sleep. This gives you the control, rather than your sitting around hoping that your baby's habit will magically go away (it wont). By waking him an hour early, you'll disrupt his pattern"

she suggests doing this for 3 nights

Might be worth a try?

You mean they're NOT supposed to wake at 3am at this age... :shock:

erm I'm not sure but I dont think so. They certainly shouldnt be waking up because of hunger as they'll be on food at 7 months, so you need to start looking at what other reasons there are for them waking up.

Thanks Ladies, I feel bad now complaining when obviously for some it's the norm to be woken, It's only because it came out of the blue when she'd happily sleep though with the minimum of fuss for the last few months. She does take her bottle when I give her one but if that's comfort eating I don't know, thanks for the habitual waking tip, It'll feel cruel but i will try it, she's still in our room so it's worth a go, It's even more difficult to tell now because of the hot muggy weather I think we are all waking at various points in the night anyway!!!

But thanks you all again, you are stars and as ever it's just good to know i'm not alone!! I will keep you all updated on the situation. :hug:

xc

Hi hun, it does sound like habitual waking, and if she has slept so well until now, it would be good to break this before it becomes a problem. Part of the problem may actually be that she is still in your room. If you have ruled out discomfort from heat/cold/wet nappy, etc. It may just be something she does. I mean, most babies do wake during the night, just like a lot of adults. She may lay there and coo/talk/mumble for a while and then go back to sleep. You dont mention crying so I am betting that if you just let her alone she will go back to sleep of her own accord. Also it may be time to think of moving her to her own room, as she may be waking coz you and OH make noises, snoring, coughing, etc.

This is just my opinion, but I will tell you that thing about deliberately waking the baby is INSANE imo. :wall: :wall: But then that is just me.

:hug: :hug: :hug: hope you sort it soon.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa,

TBH it is feeling like 'time' she moved into her own room now, I'm just worried I'll get less rest and create more noise going from room to room with every whimper and I guess a little part of me doesn't want her that far away from me also (working full time I feel like I hardly have her near me anyway....) but I will I think make the move at the weekend, if that doesn't work then try the waking. It really wouldn't be an issue only after months of being blessed with full nights and both of us working now we're all getting pretty frazzled with one another. Also I never ever thought I'd say this but roll on the dark long nights!!!!! I'm sure it's going to make a difference to my little lightest of sleepers! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back