has had the cow and gate weaning plan this morning! I'm now confused

winnie89

Reaction score
As title says had the pack come this morning had a flick through it and was going on a pureed food ok but thn talks about blw and how we should all start with purees then move onto mashed stuff ect. When I spoke to my hv she said blw is better as they learn to feed themselves sooner I'm really confused now which do I start with when the time comes?

I would research both TW and BLW and pick which ever u think will suit ur baby best . It's a personal choice . I began with TW and I am now starting to give finger foods . Xxxx

Ha it's funny you should mention that pack I was going to post a thread about it. I was livid by the time I had finished flicking through it, just one huge marketing ploy. The bit that infuriated me most was the section that said tea/coffee and fizzy drinks are unsuitable for babies under 12 months (as if once they hit a year it's perfectly acceptable :|)

Totally agree you should research both TW and BLW and see which works for you. I wouldn't do the research using info from companies like C&G though as their advice is obviously going to be biased.

Try Gill Rapley for BLW and Annabel Karmel for TW and I'm sure the ladies on here can provide even more info that isn't biased :)

See I'm glad I'm not the only one, I had stuff from aptamil come aswell and stuff from heinz but when I do start I'm just gonna cook everything my self and freeze it

Purees are marketed like that because it's seen by a lot of people as the ONLY option for weaning your children and seen as the 'norm' because if you think about it BLW cannot be marketed. You don't need food made for you in different 'stages' you don't need plates and bowls and you don't really need spoons.

I don't know if this weaning pack is anything to do with the boots parenting club? They sent me a horrifically biased weaning magazine featuring all C&G's products with freebies. It really annoyed me as it was blatant C&G advertising and there was the smallest box about of weaning methods.

Defiantly do your own research and Ignore the sponsored trash they send you, remember they want you to buy their products.

I did a bit of both, fed him purees and gave him finger foods as well right from the offset. Definitely have a look into what each method entails and decide which way you would like to go.

i think we will do a bit of both when the time comes. start off with pureed stuff, hubby will make stuff and we may use stuff like hipp or ellas kitchen too if we need to. once she is more used to 'food' we will then give her some finger food too..xx

We're doing both and having great success. I rarely buy jars though I wouldn't like my main meal to come from a jar.

We are doing TW for breakfast and lunch and hope to do bLW for his tea. He already wants to feed himself and play with his food so I think he will be fine and he loves all types of food so far. Obviously a cow and gate weaning guide will be biased but it does help if you want to do TW, I wud just say dont be too regimented the weaning process is ment to be fun so if you are going to TW then just buy some bland veg (root veg is good as it is naturally slightly sweeter) blend it up and let them muck about with it!! Be prepared for lots of changes of clothes tho!!
xxx

We tried both with Jack. Turned out he hated touching food in the early days and even now doesn't like touching crunchy food like biscuits etc (although he had a bite of Nanny's biscuit last night but didn't actualy touch it!) so we stuck with just TW for a few months then started leaving poatao & veggies on his tray and slowly slowly he started poking at it, then picking it up and now at 12 months he'll try most foods but still has a problem with things that are dry/crunchy. It's all about the individual baby. Jack never would've taken to BLW as i'm sure others won't. Trial and error is the key x

Thanks ladies it's just so bloody hard trying to get any info tried to find some recipes for my SIL the other day as oliiva is practically eating solid foor at nearly 8 months but there was nothing! Harry is fascinated by food he's always watching me and mark eat but don't wanna try him just yet

Hi. my health visitor is a big fan of blw too. I was unsure though because of baby choking and I wanted to make sure he was going to be getting enough nutrients. I didn't know if he would be able to get enough food in him by just doing blw so I decided to do both. I do a bit of puree but then offer it in solid form too so he gets to know how to feed himsef and learn about the texture of food whilst at the same time, I feed him the puree from a spoon so I know he is eating some.

I've just moved on to talking about weaning on my blog so feel free to take a look as I'll be discussing what I try and experience with it all the second time around.

Happy feeding!

Hi. my health visitor is a big fan of blw too. I was unsure though because of baby choking and I wanted to make sure he was going to be getting enough nutrients. I didn't know if he would be able to get enough food in him by just doing blw so I decided to do both. I do a bit of puree but then offer it in solid form too so he gets to know how to feed himsef and learn about the texture of food whilst at the same time, I feed him the puree from a spoon so I know he is eating some.

I've just moved on to talking about weaning on my blog so feel free to take a look as I'll be discussing what I try and experience with it all the second time around.

Happy feeding!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back