Has anyone had a kidney infection?

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

didn't know whether to put this in health as it's not baby or pregnancy related so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I've been ill since Easter with a UTI which travelled to my kidneys thanks to my Dr not believing me when I said that the first lot of antibiotcs weren't working and her not sending a sample off. Anyway, I got pretty ill indeed, was having convolsions and a fever and nearly ended up in hospital but after 2 courses of the right antibiotics it seems a lot better BUT I still ache in the sides where my kidneys are. My blood tests are clear and my Dr took another urine sample this week and has booked me in for an ultrasound in case of stones but I'm not feeling a lot of trust for her right now and I'm worried about it still.

One of my friends who had a bad infection once said that it took a few weeks for the pain to go and my Dr said it could just be that.

Have any of you had a kidney infection and did you hurt for some while afterwards?

The thing is we want to TTC really soon but I'm scared to go for it if I'm still having problems because you know what it's like once you're pregnant in terms of treating things and I want to be in the best health that I can be. I was so ill before the antibiotics worked that I went home to my parents house so that they could look after Elliott for me while I stayed in bed for 4 days as I could hardly lift him let alone run around after him and I'm scared that it might happen again :(.

Any advice/wisdom?
Thanks so much :)
+++

i was really ill before i got married. I had blood in my urine (i could even see it in my own pee sample-didnt even need to go to a lab), back ache so bad i couldnt sleep, i could kinda feel the shape of my kidneys and i was peeing like no ones business (which made me really sore).

I was told it was just back ache ( :roll: ) but later told it was a kidney infection. I was put on medication but it didnt work and thought it was a waste of time to go back to the docs.

It slowly went away but i had a "bad back" for about 2 months. :cry:

I have had a lot of kidney infections and yes the pain continues after the infection goes. I had one just before my wedding and was told there was a 1 in 5 chance of the anti biotcs working as there were different anti biotics.

hope you feel better soon

I too have had lots of kidney infections and can vouch for the pain thing. Mine are permanantly damaged and still hurt in very cold/hot weather.

As for treatment in pregnancy, I was given a low dose antibiotic to take every day during pregnancy to prevent infection. Not ideal perhaps, but if you get ill, there's always a way.

Good luck ttc. :D

When i was pregnant i had lots of kidney infections and then developed a stone (OUCH!!!)

I had a really bad pain in my side of my back.
It got really bad, i was screaming in pain and rolling all over the place, i would say the pain is the same as labour.
I was even weeing pure blood, my wee looked like i had poured blood in the container instead of blood :shock:
I was given antibiotics and was in hospital for a week :(
The pain was bad for a while but settled down slowly.

My kidneys are ruined too and need to see if i have to have one removed

Wow! Sorry to hear about all of your kidneys :shock: it's a nasty and frightening thing isn't it? I hope your kidney is ok Charlotte and doesn't have to be removed- that must have been so scary during your pregnancy too.

I used to get UTIs a lot when I was younger but I have got a lot better at managing them when they start (most of the time stopping it developing) and most of the time avoiding them by drinking lots of water, weeing before and after sex, wearing cotton pants etc but this one seemed to come out of the blue and as it was on Good Friday and I managed to take enough paracetamol and drink enough water to lesson the pain I didn't go to the Drs until the Tuesday after the holiday weekend which was my biggest mistake I think. She compounded it by not sending a sample off though (they always have before because without knowing what bug they are fighting they are just guessing at the antibiotic) and by fobbing me off a week later but then I should have been more forceful I guess. You live and learn! Next time I will buy a sample tube from the chemists and present them with it when I walk through the door!!

Thanks for the reassurance about the pain, if it's going to just fade off that makes me feel better about it, I just have zero trust in my Drs right now because it comes after years of being unhappy with them anyway so as soon as this is over I'm moving practice as I have asked mums at my toddler group and no one has good words to say about that surgery and lots of good things about the others and thankfully being in the inner City there are a lot to choose from within walking distance. If I have to take Elliott there if he's ill I want to be able to trust my Dr.

Thanks so much for your replies ladies, you've really made me feel easier about it. I hope none of us has another infection ever again :hug:

+++

I had one bout 2 years ago. I first had flu like symptoms and of course got sent away by the doctor saying it was flu. That night i woke up and i had a sharp stabbing pain bin my back, i couldnt move, i was blacking out and stuff so i had to go to hospital, looks like i had a mayjor one that just came out of no where i was ok within a week or so :)

My kidney infection was agony, called out the doctor in the middle of the night and I very rarely 'bother' the doctor., let alone have a home visit but I thought it was something serious as it hurt so much!!!Yes mine was quite painful for a while afterwards, not as long as 2 weeks though xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back