Had my first midwife appointment

Frog99

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my first midwifes appointment on Tues and although I was quite looking forward to it I was apprehensive about meeting the midwife after her non-empathy when I told her the doctor was sending me for a scan due to bleeding.

Anyway it turned out she was REALLY nice.
The appointment wasn't very exciting in itself - here's a rundown for those who want to know what sort of thing to expect:

1) Loads of questions about personal medical history - what ailments I have, my parents have, siblings etc
2) Questions about my partner, including quite a few personal ones about our relationship etc (so for those thinking about taking your other half with you, I wouldn't recommend it as it might feel awkward!)
3) Had to produce a urine sample
4) Had my blood pressure taken followed by a blood sample (took 4 attempts to get blood out of my arm but she managed in the end)
5) Opportunity to ask any questions you want (feel free to take a list so you remember to ask everything)

I was told the hospital would be in touch regarding dating scan at around 12weeks - one thing I wasn't prepared for however is that at the dating scan you can have another test done to determine whether you're high or low risk for having a downs syndrom baby. I hadn't contemplated this at all and after the midwife talked me through the initial test and then further tests if I was high risk, I decided I didn't want any Downs screening tests. However as I hadn't considered it before the appointment and hadn't discussed it with my other half, the midwife gave me the number of the hospital and said that if once I'd thought about it some more and discussed with my OH I changed my mind I could ring the hospital and ask them to extend my appt to include the tests. I've since read up on the tests in my 'pregnancy bible' and talked about it and I'm still not going to have the tests - if I have a Downs baby, I have a Downs baby. I know in my heart I wouldn't terminate if I found out anyway so I figured why bother having the tests. Obviously everyone will have their own views on this but for those who haven't met their midwife yet, it might be something to consider in advance.

Anyway first midwife appointment took just over an hour. Second one is booked for early feb and will only be 15mins.
I'm awaiting scan dates from hospital but doubt I'll hear anything pre-xmas.

Hey you, so glad all went well with your midwife and she's really nice. god, they ask a lot of questions don't they?!
I'm of the same opinion as you about Downs. When we hopefully get pregnant again I'm not going to have any tests.

Hope this finds you well. Take good care sweetie xx :hug:

I'm glad it all went well hun and hope you get scan appointment soon :hug:

HannahD said:
I'm of the same opinion as you about Downs. When we hopefully get pregnant again I'm not going to have any tests.

Spoke to my OH about it and he's agreed with me about not finding out whether I'm high or low risk of Downs which is a relief.

:hug: so glad shes nice!

I hope you get yoru scan date through soon, I am not having the downs test either, dotn really see the point as when my mum had once it came back high and she didnt have a child with downs. Yet my OHs auntie had the test and it came back low risk and she had a child with downs, though hes absolutly fantastic and couldnt of picked a better mommy :D

Really helpful Frog99 thanks - have more of an idea what to expect when the time comes.

Not sure I would want the Down's test either - as you say Tasha, if it shows up high that still doesn't mean you will actually have a baby with Down's!

I don't think it would make a difference to me anyway - but I think it would to hubby so thanks for raising the issue as it means we can discuss it before we go for an appointment.

Hi, glad you had a nice appointment.

The downs and spina bifida screening sort of took me by suprise too, wasn't expecting that (forgot everything from having 1st) ...even though it's my second time, I think i had it with Aaliyah and I have chosen to have it again too. The blood tests suprised me aswell, i'm sure I diddn't have them done at first app with mw last time. :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back