• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

gutted

emma28

Reaction score
don't know where to start really...Jonah just bit my DH. It's broken the skin and everything. And i smacked his bum. he was crying and sobbing and we put him on the naughty step which we've never had to use before ever. we also stopped him watching the tv and took his toys out of the living room while we talked about how naughty he'd been.
Now i feel sick....
the other day a boy bit him, and his mum was saying how her lo bites all the time and it's just a phase they grow out of. I said it couldn't just be that as Jonah doesn't bite..and now he does. Now i don't know if it's something which will be a problem or if it's just a one off..I also think I might of been too hard on him.... any advice?

It may well be a phase - but it still needs dealing with so don't feel that you've done wrong by punishing him. Even a one off is often a one off just because the child realises straight away that the behaviour won't be tolerated.

he'll be upset - of course he will - he's been punished and knows you're disappointed in him - it'll pass and hopefully if he goes to do it again he'll stop because of your response

my mum ended up doing that with one sister as we all bear scars from her biting - it was so bad she used to bite through our clothes :shock:

i think you did the right thing hun, the other mum shouldnt have just dismissed it well done you for being a good mummy
btw hope i dont sound too evil lol :rotfl:

My step brother went through a phase of biting when he was 4/5. My mum said he didnt realise he was doing it and when he realised what he had done he looked ashamed and embarrassed. My mum (or step dad) never punished him or even told him off for it (I would have, I would have done exactly the same as you) but he grew out of it after about 6 months anyway. He probably did it about 8 times in total.

When I was young my mum bit me back as well :x .....and I never once tried to bite again apparently.

yeah - my mum bit me back in all.. she said a short sharp shock back to show them what pain they have caused makes them stop right away.
I and all my brothers and sister never bit again.

i dont think you were too harsh at all..you'll feel guilty but that comes with being a parent - stay strong. He'll think twice before doing it again.

Hi

Dont feel bad hun :hug:
My dad bit me back as well i used to bite my brother and sister all the time and i got my mouth washed out with soap from my Noni :lol:

Emma dont u feel bad hun, and the other mum ur talking about u are 100000% better than her and she just lets her kid do whatever he wants. Like i said on phone its so out of character for Jonah so maybe ask the school. Bet ya he doesnt do it again!!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dont worry its not ur fault hun xxxxx

Thanks for all your replies.... the first thing he said when he got up this morning was sorry for biting you last ight daddy. He's obviously been thinking about it himself and hopefully is a bit ashamed. :pray:

He's just as cuddley and loving so he mustn't hate me :D

I'm still gonna ask if everything's ok at school, I would be horrified if he bit any of the other children, even if that is where he picked it up from..
Who knows?? But I'm almost sure he won't do it again :pray: I just hope he doesn't tell his teacher I smacked him....

emma28 said:
don't know where to start really...Jonah just bit my DH. It's broken the skin and everything. And i smacked his bum. he was crying and sobbing and we put him on the naughty step which we've never had to use before ever. we also stopped him watching the tv and took his toys out of the living room while we talked about how naughty he'd been.
Now i feel sick....
the other day a boy bit him, and his mum was saying how her lo bites all the time and it's just a phase they grow out of. I said it couldn't just be that as Jonah doesn't bite..and now he does. Now i don't know if it's something which will be a problem or if it's just a one off..I also think I might of been too hard on him.... any advice?

That's utter rubbish... :shock: It might be a phase that kids go through because they all bite at some time, but if you show that it's not important or that you don't care if they go around and bite everyone, then that shows them that it's alright to be nasty to people.

No Emma what you did was totally right, and your sons reaction is proof that it was. If he came down and was truly sorry for what he did, he is unlikely to do it again.

When Tia bit me for the first time, I handled it in very much the same way,,.only I bit her back rather than smack. I can count all the times on one hand where I have needed to be that excessive towards her because she was naughty, and well, it shocked her enough to never do it again... Sometimes she play bites, but never to the point it leaves a mark or hurts ever again.. (you know like... I'm going to eat you and gobble you all up games).

And you wonder why some kids grow up and attack old grannies? :x

*saulino* said:
Hi

Dont feel bad hun :hug:
My dad bit me back as well i used to bite my brother and sister all the time and i got my mouth washed out with soap from my Noni :lol:
i got bitten back to and had to have soap for swearing lol never did either again lol

My cousin used to bite all the time.Her mother smacked her and told her off,after about 6 months it stopped
I don't think you were too hard on him-its a habit you definbitly want to break him out of:)

:shock: 6 MONTHS???

I have his jaws wired shut if he's still doing it in 6 months!!!

He's had a good day today, been his usual funny loving self no sign of any biting so I'm praying it was a 1 off and we've put him off ever doing anything like it again....

Thanks for all your replies and support though, it's good to know others would do the same and don't think I'm a bad parent because he bit or because of the way we dealt with it- Cheers girls :hug:

My cousin used to bite all the time.Her mother smacked her and told her off,after about 6 months it stopped
I don't think you were too hard on him-its a habit you definbitly want to break him out of:)

:shock: 6 MONTHS???

I have his jaws wired shut if he's still doing it in 6 months!!!

He's had a good day today, been his usual funny loving self no sign of any biting so I'm praying it was a 1 off and we've put him off ever doing anything like it again....

Thanks for all your replies and support though, it's good to know others would do the same and don't think I'm a bad parent because he bit or because of the way we dealt with it- Cheers girls :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back