Group Strep B test

muppetmummy

Reaction score
Has anyone here had the test for Group B Strep whilst pregnant?

I believe you should be tested between 35 and 37 weeks? Was your midwife happy to take the swabs for you, or did you have to take them yourself?
Where did you send them for analysis and how easy was it?

I'm interested in getting this done cos for the sake of around £30 I think it's very worthwhile, but I don't really know how to go about it.

James stopped breathing when he was 6 days old and needed a course of intrevenous antibiotics but despite doing loads of tests they never really found out what infection caused it. This is making me more wary about it I think.

My midwife gave me a swab to take myself then i had to take it in to her the following day, she asked me if i suffered with a lot of discharge and when i said yes she gave me one, but she wouldnt have if i hadnt asked. I was also given one when my waters broke.

You could ask your midwife and see if she will, also tell her your worried because of what happened to you ds. I think it will be easier to get one for free rather than paying out £30 odd for one.

Apparently when I had my daughter strep b was just picked up when they did a routine swab on me. Then when I had my son I had a swab done around 36 weeks, and the same will happen with this pregnancy too. I would definitely have it done, even if I had to pay for it. My son was on SCBU for 7 days with suspected Strepb infection after birth, luckily he didnt have it.

Thanks, I think I'll have a chat with my midwife about it when I see her again at 28 weeks.

I heard though that the NHS tests can give false negatives, anyone else heard this?

Looking back through other posts in this forum by people who had the test privately it seems that everyone who had the test was positive! :shock: Has anyone ever been tested and been negative? It's not because the private tests aren't very accurate is it?

Sorry for all the questions

I asked my MW about the Strep B test and she said one of the main reasons as to why the NHS don't routinely test for it is because you can contract the infection at any time. So, you could be tested one week and be negative, tested the following week and be positive.

I got the impression that if you have any reason to feel you may be at risk they will test you, or if your waters break early or if there is any indication that you are suffering with an infection.

I'm still undecided about it all.

I had that test done i got the number out of mother and baby magazine and the company send you a test you send it back then they text you your result then you get it in writing a few days later.

My midwife didn't offer me the test.. it cost me £32 i think :think:

Hi

Here its manditory , and they do it for you at your regular checkup
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member