Group B Strep - what is it & how would i know if i had it ??

Naterjack

Reaction score
Just watching a program on Sky and the girl in labour has an infection called group B strep.
MW said that they give Antibiotics as it is only fatal to newborns - but that got me thinking ..... how would you kow if you had it ?

Is this something we all get tested for ?
I had the usual blood tests , HIV, Antibodies, etc, but cant see any reference to this ?

Any ideas?

I had allsorts of thoughts on this. You can get it done privately and i actually sent off for all the kits. When i went to my obstetrician though he seemed to poo poo the idea and just said "why bother" and "it will get picked up if theres a problem". Im not so sure about his comment but i decided not to have it purely because alot of woman will test positive and nothing will become of it. If i had tested positive then i would have had to have antibiotics which have a habit of making my crohns flare.

I would probably have had it done though if that wasnt the case.

Claire x

They test you at 36 weeks, but you can test negative one day and be positive the next, and vice versa. Its a very small risk.
I wondered as Ive tested positive for it before during a routine smear test, but MW said its such small risk its not worth it, and not very reliable.

i had it with my last pregnancy and had stupid vaginal pessary things :evil: :evil:
ive got to be tested in this pregnancy too
by the time id finished the course of anti-biotics it had gone tho. its nothing to worry about

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back