Going skiing with LO ...

X5OT

Reaction score
We ski every year, but missed last year as J was only a few weeks old. We're off to France end of Feb for a week - driving for the first time ever as we'll have J with us. We're taking 2 days to get there and the same on the way back to break up the journey for her. Also taking m-in-law as she skis and we can share looking after J :)

Wondered if anyone has taken there LO skiing (J will be 15 months old) and any hints / tips you may have. We've kitted her out with a snow suit , gloves and hat from snow & rock. She has been walking since Decemberm but we're struggling to find any footwear for her whichis suitable for snow walking (she's a 3.5).

Would like to hear from others who have taken there LOs skiing and how you got on.

Thanks!
C

I haven't been with Rudy but when I was younger I used to go with my dad and my half brother was the same age as your LO. The best thing to do for footwear is buy as soon as you get there, they do stuff for all ages in the shops, expesnsive but you can't get anything of the same quality or suitability here. My brother used to go into a creche in the mornings whilst we all skied and then my step mother would be with him in trhe afternoon. He started skiing when he was 3 :shock: and its an excellant skiier now that he is 11. They have no fear when that little which helps with something like skiing.

We should be taking Rudy this Christmas and he will be the same age as your LO by then so I would be really interested to hear how you get on.

x

ETA- what are you doing about a pushchair?

We went when my nephew was 18 months in 2007. Probably going to go next year. He always had a pair of sturdy walking boots, snowsuit, hat and gloves. To be honest he walked most places, a buggy just wasn't practical. We also had him in a sledge a lot of the time. Next time we go he'll be in the ski school in the morning, they do lots of snow confidence things before they actually get the skis out. I think he's been this year already (he's 3 and a half now). OH and all his family have been skiing since they were 3 as well - wish I had! :lol:

Looking forward to playing in the snow with Becky - we're going to go skiing over the next couple of weeks here but my mum will babysit as Becky would get blown away.

We took Ellie for the first time when she was nearly 18months. We bought a snow suit for her but again couldn't find any warm boots over hear. However in resort they have some lovely warm boots so we bought them there, and found them great for her to wear over here. We went skiing again over new year, and again had to buy warm boots in resort. She is wearing them today in the snow at nursery!

We took her on a sled on the nursery slope, we also hired some plastic ski's only cost a few euro's to put over her boots to give her a taste of skiing. She loves playing in the snow. When we went the first time, kept calling it "Bubbles". This second time she was approaching 2.5yrs, and was more confident with the snow, and loved through it at us, and picking it up in hers and clapping with it.

We are hoping that next year when she will 3.5yrs we will be able to put her in ski school, so that she can start to learn early.

Thanks for all your replies! Hubby used to ski for the GB Junior Team and instructed skiing for many years (he retired from racing in his mid 20s) so we are keen to get Jenna used to the snow, and plan to start her off on little skis when she is 3 and a bit. thanks for all the advice - I think we'll wait and get her some footwear when we arrive. We are driving down over 2 days so will have plenty of time.

Re pushchair - we have a bugaboo cameleon and I was going to get the snow tyres for it, but they are £50!!! Any suggestions from you guys? A sledge sounds ideal but not sure she'll stay in it and a bit of a bugger to pull around all the time. She has been walking independently since Christmas but hasn't really walked outside yet so I dont' think she'll be doing lots of walking in Flaine.

X5OT said:
She has been walking independently since Christmas but hasn't really walked outside yet so I dont' think she'll be doing lots of walking in Flaine.

We have the cameleon too, so I was interested into finding out what the snow wheels were like but £50 is abit of a rip of!

Ohhh your going to Flaine, I've been there numerous times and it has some great skiing. Have you been before. I'd say it is quite pushchair friendly as it is a 'made' ski resort it is really easy walking with clear paths.

ASD123456 said:
X5OT said:
She has been walking independently since Christmas but hasn't really walked outside yet so I dont' think she'll be doing lots of walking in Flaine.

We have the cameleon too, so I was interested into finding out what the snow wheels were like but £50 is abit of a rip of!

Ohhh your going to Flaine, I've been there numerous times and it has some great skiing. Have you been before. I'd say it is quite pushchair friendly as it is a 'made' ski resort it is really easy walking with clear paths.

We haven't been to Flaine before so will be interesting to see somewhere new. We decide on it as it's supposed to be family friendly and we got a good deal on an apartment (Jenna needs to sleep in her own bedroom as none of us sleep when she's in with us!) in a brand new complex;

http://www.neilson.co.uk/Snow-France-Flaine-Flaine-Montsoleil-Apartments-Accommodation-Information.aspx

Do you know where that is?

Haven't decided what to do about the bugaboo snow tyres. Hmm ..... if the paths are kept clear we should be ok

On the pushchair front we took our Quinny Zap out when Ellie was 18months. Had no real problem with it round the town. Biggest issue was the apartment we were staying in you need to climb a load of steps (which were quite icy) before you goto where the lifts were within the apartment. We didn't bother taking anything over new year as Ellie was happy to walk further.

There are some little ski things you can fit to any 3 wheeler for a lot of snow. Trying to find the link but it is taking ages. We just took the pram and it was fine because the roads and pavements are usually clear. However, this year there is so much snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back