Glucose Test and Sickness!

Pregnopaws

Reaction score
At some point this week I have to do a Glucose Tolerance Test, which means I'll have to fast after midnight and eat nothing until I arrive at the hospital at 8 am.. I then have a sugary drink and a urine test at 8 am..then again at 9 am.. and then at 10..am.. then I can finally eat something. Well right now I've been waking up early morning with bad morning sickness and have to eat crackers to settle it all.. I dont know how im going to get up at 6 am and drive for an hour to the hospital on an empty stomach and last until 10! :cry: Has anyone else done this and how was it?

ive got this test on 11th october.. really not looking forward to it..
i cant function in the morning unless i have a glass of water! we cant even have that.
i always wake up during the night dying for a drink so im gonna hate it!
my appointment is at 11am so im gonna force myself to stay in bed until half 10 and then rush around so dont have time to feel hungry/thirsty!
gonna stuff myself silly the night before! :rotfl:

Hi hun!

Im having this test done too and im dreading it! I dont know what to suggest, a big bucket and keep your fingers crossed :?

They dont do it until your 28 weeks here, so hopefully wont be suffering sickness then.

Cant u stay nearer hospital over night to avoid driving the hour?

Best of luck girls.. Unless I stay in a hotel no chance of being closer! How strange that you have the test so much later on? Midwife told me that it needed to be done before 2nd Tri..?? Grr they all say different stuff. I'd be much happier having test done when sickness has had a chance to go away... if it ever does? :shock: :puke:

Hiya I had the test a couple of weeks ago, and even in 3rd tri I've been getting morning nausea so I had the same worries as you. Have a huge dinner and snacks all the way up until you have to start fasting! You're allowed a bit of water in between then and the test, so stick some in the fridge cos colder water might take the edge off it a bit. When you get there, the glucose drink is pretty rank, it's like a syrup but waterred down, so it's quite thick. If you take a book or something to distract you, the 2 hours goes quicker than you'd think. They're allowed to give you water in between too so if that helps don't hesitate to ask for a little drink. Have some chocolate in your bag so as soon as you come out of the 2nd blood test you can get munching on it. The sugar in the drink is meant to keep you going for those 2 hours so you will probably find your sickness isn't so bad, as morning sickness is mostly caused by low sugar levels and you'll have just had a huge glass full of sugar :) :hug:

Hope that helps x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back