Giving Birth in Scotland

Booklet

Reaction score
My husband and I are trying for a baby. I am originally from America and I know what the maternity units are like there. My friend just had a baby and had a beautiful room. Her bed was a hospital bed but there was a bed there for her husband, as well. She had a great view and wooden floors, furniture that looked like it was from a home. I live in Edinburgh, but may live in Dundee or Aberdeen by the time I have a baby. Can anyone tell me what the typical Scottish maternity unit is like? I can't find anything. Will I be on a ward with many other women? I can't sleep around strangers!

same as all the uk ones would be,i would think

Which is a ward surrounded by loads of other women, although some hospitals have rooms on theur own with private bathroooms, my hospital had these and you can pay to have them booked for the night if they are free. I was lucky enough to get one without paying, but only because my son was premature and was in transitional care.

Booklet said:
My husband and I are trying for a baby. I am originally from America and I know what the maternity units are like there. My friend just had a baby and had a beautiful room. Her bed was a hospital bed but there was a bed there for her husband, as well. She had a great view and wooden floors, furniture that looked like it was from a home. I live in Edinburgh, but may live in Dundee or Aberdeen by the time I have a baby. Can anyone tell me what the typical Scottish maternity unit is like? I can't find anything. Will I be on a ward with many other women? I can't sleep around strangers!

jesus wept anyone would think you were talking about outer mongolia :shock:

Go and visit a few maternity units booklet and if the rooms haven't got the desired views then you'll have time to book your ticket back to the U.S :D :D

Booklet said:

that sounds lovely! if they were like that here I would quite happily want to go into hospital!

Though a Birthing centre sounds like what you have decribed, they are run by midwifes and usualy great places, but there are none near me :(

have a search on google hunny if you don't like the sound of the hospital or you can do what im doing and other women, Having your little one at home :cheer:

Thanks to everyone that was helpful, but I have to say... This is my first time using this forum and a couple of the replies were less than friendly (not naming any names, Budge). I and a lot of first time mothers have no idea what they are getting themselves into and trying to find out anything I can is a normal reaction. There is no reason to be rude or hostile. I wasn't accusing this country of being backwards, I was simply asking what it is like here. I probably will ask to see a ward or unit, but only when I know where I will actually be living.

I thought a place like this would give nice, helpful answers, such as someone's own experiences. By the way, I have looked on Google but I can't find anything about places in Scotland.

oh dear! i wasn't meaing to be hostile.
its my dreadful sense of humour! :wall:

i honestly hope you find a nice maternity suite. i meant what i said when i said go and visit! just phone up and they will be most oblidging and show you around. Thats the best thing to do :D

Booklet don't worry about Budge's sense of humour, we all thought she was a crack pot when she first joined and we were gonna ban her :wink: But you learn to understand what she's saying. Reading text on a screen isnt as easy as hearing someone speak with the tone in their voice.

Booklet, I know you aren't pregnant yet so I not sure if you can yet, but when you are pregnant, you will be able to look round all the hospitals local to you and choose which you would like to give birth at, Your midwife/doctr will also provide you with alot of information of the options avaliable to you. Or failing that you could go private to ensure you get the very highest level of aftercare.

Sami said:
Booklet don't worry about Budge's sense of humour, we all thought she was a crack pot when she first joined and we were gonna ban her :wink: But you learn to understand what she's saying. Reading text on a screen isnt as easy as hearing someone speak with the tone in their voice.

there you see!

Ignore me im the forum idiot. :| :D

Nah, it's okay. I am used to some people over-reacting when I ask what it is like here, as if I am implying it isn't as good as in the USA. I guess I misinterpreted that reply as that. I also get told by people (that I don't know and most people probably wouldn't want to know) to book a ticket back to the USA. I guess I was being oversensitive expecting you to be oversensitive! :?

Booklet said:
Nah, it's okay. I am used to some people over-reacting when I ask what it is like here, as if I am implying it isn't as good as in the USA. I guess I misinterpreted that reply as that. I also get told by people (that I don't know and most people probably wouldn't want to know) to book a ticket back to the USA. I guess I was being oversensitive expecting you to be oversensitive! :?

its ok. sorted now.

now keep in touch about all the hospital saga booklet. :D

LOL, the care in UK (can't speak for scotland) isnt 5 star, but it does most of us alright, and you're only in one night max, normally they have you out in 6 hours, so I wouldn't worry too much about staying in with a rowdy bunch like us :)

So tell us more abotu yourself, how long have you been ttc?

Hi Booklet,

I've pm'd you if you still need to know anything.... I'm in Aberdeen and just had our daughter there a little over 16wks ago.
Plus... used to live in the States so I know the differences between here and USA..... I know where I'd have rather been!!

S. xx

Hi Booklet

I gave birth in a hospital in S Lanarkshire so not near you in Edinburgh but still Scotland :)

I think hospitals vary from one to another but the same level of basic care is the same. I was lucky that my hospital was only 5 years old and very modern with nice furniture and t.vs etc (but no internet) and if there was a side room available then it was on first come first serve basis - you don't pay for them.

I've just had an operation today in another hospital and the care was fantastic - very friendly staff who are attentive and caring.

I hope you have a good experience

Lucy

IMO UK hospital wards are VERY prison like. I understand why they are like it - you husband has to buzz to be let in, has limited visiting hours even if you are in a private room which makes mockery of the given excuse that it is to allow other mums some privacy. You do get a private room for the actual delivery though and your partner is allowed with you while you are actually giving birth. These are one of the reasons why I wanted a home birth which thankfully I got, but you can only have one if there are no complications with your pregnancy and if there is a midwife available when you go into labour. We don't have any birthing centres in our area either, I enquired about that as a backup if their weren't any midwifes available but was told there weren't any. Another alternative to making sure that you get your home birth is having a private midwife but you are looking at £3-4000, though that covers your care throughout your pregnancy and a bit afterwards.

I know exactly what you mean about understanding the difference's between the States and the UK. They are so similar in a lot of ways the differences catch you more by suprise I think. My Aunt emegrated to the states before I was born and I know it took her ages to find Cornflour in the shops (because it is called something different) and other little things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back