Getting baby to drink water?

laracomps

Reaction score
Phoebs is mainly bottle fed now, and as its so hot I am worried that she is getting a bit dehydrated. She hasn't pooed as much the past few days and her fontanelle is a bit sunken.

I have tried giving her water in a bottle and she won't take it, so today I tried the tommee tippee bottle to cup trainer that came with the steraliser. She sucks it really well, however she can't get any water out as it seems you have to bite it a bit? (I tried it myself afterwards lol) She can't work out how to do it properly.

So question is, how do I get her to take a bit of water? Is there another sippy cup I can use for a 3 month old? (she's 12 weeks on Sat).

Tonight, I just added an extra oz of water to her bottle. Is it ok to do that? I mean its only 1 feed out of the day.

Ta!

Try the tommee Tippee cups with the folding spout.... most supermarkets/pharmacys sell them.

Failing that, just give her some from a teaspoon and keep trying with the bottle

SarahH said:
Try the tommee Tippee cups with the folding spout.... most supermarkets/pharmacys sell them.

Failing that, just give her some from a teaspoon and keep trying with the bottle

They do do a normal kind of sippy cup that just looks like the water comes out when they suck, but it says from 4 months? Do you think it would be ok?

And in terms of teats on the bottle, her bottles are Dr Browns ones. She seems to know its not milk! Naughty girl.

Thanks for your input girls.

As an interim measure you could try using one of those syringes that you get for giving medicine

She chokes when I use a syringe even if I do it REALLY slowly... but you have reminded me that I've got one of the dummy dispensers... HMM that might work! Might have to fill it up a few times though :)

On a side note, anyone know how much water I should offer her? I've been trying with about 2oz.

When Arianna was born it was stupidly hot here and she was given water from birth on the advice of the midwife and health visitor.... an once or 2 should be fine

:wave: hello hun

Ive had the same prob with James . . . . he HATES water and he hadnt been poohing much so HV said to give an extra opunce of water in his bottles, EVERY feed for 2 days. She said its fine to do for 1-2 days when it gets like this xx

Good luck with the water lara. I have been giving Daniel one or two oz a day as it seems to keep him from becoming constipated and of course keeps him hydrated.

He feeds from an Avent bottle, teat number 2.

Let us know how you get on :D

Chester will only take 1-1.5 oz thru-out the whole day. I just put it in the normal bottle and he does take it, altho cus its thinner than his milk (c & g comfort) he chokes a bit if he gulps so we have to watch out for that.

My HV said if he doesnt take it to have 5 oz water 1 scoop of formula to make the water flavoured, I've never heard of this from anyone else before, and didnt try it myself xxx

Evie takes her water from a bottle fine- on a slow flow teat. On a hot day she'll normally have about 3oz throughout the day :hug:

My MW, HV and the A&E Dr yesturday said diluted juice is fine. Mainly prune juice 2oz, cooled boiled water 2oz or more depending on how much I wanted to make up, my LO loves it, and it helps with hydration and poops. I get 100% pure juice, no made from concentraite, full of additives rubbish.

Might be worth asking your HV, as it makes it taste nicer I guess.

DS wouldnt take water either so I bought him a different style bottle to the Dr Browns he used for his milk and did one part fresh orange/apple/pinnaple (NOT FROM CONCENTRAIT) to 4 parts water and he drunk it great. this was on advice from HV!

my son will just point blank refuse anything from a bottle thats not milk. Ive tried a sippy cup but i guess he just thinks if i suck it and its not milk im not drinking it! :think: the only way i can get him to drink if from a proper cup. Ive got a little plastic one from asda (in the summer picnic sections!) I ob have to hold it for him and be very careful but he'll drink fine from it. (has to wear a bib coz it goes everywhere if he gets carried away)

Thanks all.

I spoke to another HV on Weds who isn't my normal one. She said I wasn't to add extra water to the bottles especially if she doesn't drink it all, as she won't get the nutrition from the milk. I didn't think this would be much of a problem if it was just 1 bottle out of the day, but never mind.

I tried yesterday with sippy cup, dr browns bottle, tommee tippee bottle. She just hates the taste I think - She pulls a face like she's just sucked a lemon! Cute, but very naughty :evil: She then starts crying for milk even though it isn't time yet :wall:

I ended up adding 2 scoops of milk to 4oz of water, as at least she took some. She took almost 2oz and then still had her feed 1.5 hours later :cheer: Not ideal but at least it was better than nowt I guess.

I am also going to try to get a doidy cup over the weekend as I've heard great stuff about them.

Will also ask about juice when I see the HV next - problem is then, will you ever get them to drink water?

Thanks guys :hug: :hug:

Jenna hs always refused to take water from her bottle so this is the one we use:

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/tip_it_up_cup_6m_/

We started using this at about 4 months as she couldn't get any water out of the one which came with the TT steriliser (not surprised as I had trouble getting the water out as well!)

Now she will drink water fine - prob about 3oz a day - which is great as I don't want her to have juice

X5OT said:
We started using this at about 4 months as she couldn't get any water out of the one which came with the TT steriliser (not surprised as I had trouble getting the water out as well!)

Thats the one I tried as well - I could hardly get anything out of it either, so who knows how it is supposed to help?!

Maybe its just a case of persevering. hmm

You dont need to do the add milk to get her to drink water thing. If shes just drinking milk thats plenty of water. For example my son usually drinks 21oz of milk a day so thats 21oz of water! I dont even drink that much! Just coz shes not purely drinking water doesnt mean shes not getting any. If you think about it shes prob not thursty at all from all the milk shes drinking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back