Getting a new job whilst on SMP

xkikix

Reaction score
Hi Girls,

MY SMP is due to finish Jan 11 09 for my job where I work full time. I thought i'd return to that job whilst preg but now I really dont want to go back - its too stressful and ideally i'd like to work part time.

I've seen a job I like the look of, its just at a co-op store put the hours would be perfect! 20 hours a week, Tues 3-10pm (chris' mum could have the LO til Chris finishes work at 6pm) Thurs 3-10pm (possible nursery til 6pm, then chris) and one weekend day (LO with Chris). Its a supervisor role so some responsibility as well which i'd enjoy and am sort of used to (was a team leader before preg).

If I went for this job and got it what would happen to SMP? Would it be fraud to work and get SMP? It just seems so ideal and I reckon once my SMP ends there wont be any positions like this!!

Id say it would be pretty illegal.
Why dont you just hand in your notice at the job you are with and start working at co-op.

why not? as long as you pay the right tax- it'll be classed as a 2nd job while you are still on SMP so higher tax rate I can't see the problem :?

This site: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefit ... adygetting states

* If you start work for a new employer before your baby is born, your SMP is not affected.
* After the baby is born, if you work for an employer who did not employ you in the 15th week before the week your baby was due, your SMP must stop. You must tell the employer paying you SMP.

So Jade, you don't have to worry, but Kiki, you can't start a new job and get SMP.

If this is the job you want though, it makes more sense to go for it than to quit your job in January and possibly have no income for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back