Gestational Diabetes

Mik

Reaction score
HI, I have just had a call to say my results from yesterdays GTT are high and I have to go into the hospital Monday to talk to the doctor, dietician uncle tom cobbly and all! I would be grateful if anyone who has had this could let me know what it means in practical terms apart from baby being bigger and what I can expect when I see the docs etc on Monday.

Thank you :hug:

I was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. My blood sugar after the GTT was 9 and they said 10 and above was definitly diabetic so mine was borderline.

I was asked to monitor my blood sugar for a week and go back to the clinic to see where my blood sugar was high. They then put me on insulin at the times when my sugars were at their highest. I had to see a dietician but I wasn't eating too badly so there wasn't much I could change. I had to see a diabetic consultant every week, have extra growth scans every 4 weeks and be monitored by CTG every week after 32 weeks.

Because I was on insulin I was induced at 38 weeks (something that's standard in my hospital but not sure about other hospitals). Molly was 6lb when she was born so I don't think mine was a classic case of GD! Either that or I just controlled it really really well.

HTH

My GD was diagnosed at 28 weeks my fundal height was 5 weeks ahead and they found glucose in my urine, on the initial appointment they will probably give you a growth scan, the dietician will give you advice about basically cutting sugar out of your diet completely they then asked me to monitor my blood sugar level twice a day for a week, i was eating a good diet anyway so the cutting out the sugar didnt make any difference, because my levels were still very high around 12 2 hours after food, they wanted it to be under 8, i was put on insulin which i took twice a day, i then had to go back every 4 weeks for another growth scan, see the midwife, the consultant and the diabetic nurse

Unfortunately mine was not controlled well so i had to go every 2 weeks and i saw 5 different people! it only really got under control by 36 weeks but my fundal height was a whopping 44 weeks by then and i was induced at 37 weeks and gave birth by emergency c section to Macey who was 11lb 4! Macey had to spend 11 days in SCBU as she got critical level jaundice which apparently can happen to babies of diabetic mums as the way that they get rid of it is comprimised

I would say i had a bad case of GD so dont be scared of my story but take it as worse case scenario, hopefully you will just have to cut out sugar etc but they will monitor you well, you will be sick of the place by the time you have given birth

Thanks :hug: I don't see that there is anything wrong with my diet I eat loads of fruit and veg and am veggie so have quorn which is lower in fat. I am not keen on bread and potatoes and tend to eat pasta and rice more mainly wholemeal. Yes I have a glass of diet coke a day which I can cut out and the occasional bit of choc but that's about it I think. I am already being scanned every four weeks due to high blood pressure so between the BP causing a small baby and GD a large one it should even out - maybe :rotfl:
It is just doing my head in having to wait 6 days to find out what is going to be said when it was so urgent it couldn't wait for my appt and growth scan 2 days later!

same as me diet wise then, keep me posted if you have any questions PM me x

I have just been diagnosed today. I am measuring weeks ahead which has worried me somewhat. Hopefully going to be seen in diabetes clinic on friday.

Mik said:
Thanks :hug: I don't see that there is anything wrong with my diet I eat loads of fruit and veg and am veggie so have quorn which is lower in fat. I am not keen on bread and potatoes and tend to eat pasta and rice more mainly wholemeal. Yes I have a glass of diet coke a day which I can cut out and the occasional bit of choc but that's about it I think. I am already being scanned every four weeks due to high blood pressure so between the BP causing a small baby and GD a large one it should even out - maybe :rotfl:
It is just doing my head in having to wait 6 days to find out what is going to be said when it was so urgent it couldn't wait for my appt and growth scan 2 days later!

See how you go when monitoring your blood sugars, you might find it surprising what actually makes them high.

I had real problems with Potatoes. I couldn't even have a few boiled potatoes without my blood sugar being raised but found mixing with sweet potatoes fine. Biscuits were fine though!

Try not to worry too much about it. If you're having growth scans they'd have picked up any problems by now. Sounds like your two conditions could just make a perfectly sized baby though, lol :D

Hello! :wave:

I was on insulin as well (4 times a day!), and, although I have to admit, could have done better with my diet, my baby was only a decent 3,1kg, so not a whopper as I had been scared into expecting! She had a little bit of jaundice as well,but it went away ok as the midwives didnt bother with it after 2 weeks.
Baby's sugar levels were taken twice I think,in the hospital, and were fine.
I'm not sure if I was going to get induced or not,as different doctors told me different things,but went ito labout at 38weeks anyway.
I have to say I was very happy to hand in my needles! And now can drink fruit juices again! :dance:

My first baby was 10lbs 10oz, so during my second pregnancy they checked me for GD, and the test came back clear, I didn't have it.

Didn't stop my second baby being 10lbs 1oz though!

Apparently I'm going to have to have the test again this time too later in my pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back