Folic acid after 12 weeks?

monkeycharmer

Reaction score
Hiya

Had my first scan yesterday and everything was grand. Baby was bending over touching it's toes - so amazing!

My question is, now that I'm at the 12 week point - do I carry on taking folic acid?

Thanks for your help.

Mo x

Some people will say YES some people will say NO. Most pregnancy vitamins that contain the correct amount of folic acid will state they are for pre-conception, for pregnancy and while breastfeeding. I've continued to take mine as I personally believe that although not as critical after the 12 week marker it still plays a vital role in development etc. I started taking it a year before TTC and will continue to do so untill I've finished breastfeeding. After that I'll just switch back to a normal women's multi-vitamin. I'd say it's a personal decision but I'd say to continue taking it in my opinion.

I will be taking my pronatal vitamin that has it in right the way through and while breastfeeding too

I was told that I should take folic acid until 12 weeks, then it was up to me if I wanted to continue.

I have continued taking the folic acid but only as I still have 4 weeks supply left. I am not sure what to do myself. xxx

Im rubbish at taking tablets I always forget. Im gonna try remember but my brain isnt all that good at rememebering stuff at the min

Folic acid is taken as it is shown to reduce the incidence of spina bifida/neural tube defects (problems with development of the brain and spinal cord/column). This development goes on very early in pregnancy.

Therefore the recommendation is to take it when TTC and first 12 weeks - I don't think there is any evidence that it makes any difference if you take it longer.

However, it certainly won't do any harm so carry on if you like. The one to watch out for is making sure you don't take multivitamins containing vitamin A as excess can be harmful in pregnancy.

Congrats on the scan!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Girls

Had an appointment with my GP today for other bits and pieces unrelated to my pregnancy and while I was there I asked whether I should continue taking folic acid after 12 weeks.

He told me not to carry on as it isn't necessary after the 12 week point but as some of you have pointed out - I'm sure it won't do any harm.

As I'm terrible at taking tablets anyway, I think I'll give it a miss from this point on - but thank you all so much for your helpful comments.

Mo x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back