Flying during pregnancy

rocksyroberts

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife is 6 weeks pregnant, and has a pretty demanding job that was annoying enough when she wasn't pregnant! She has to travel long distance every two months or so, and we're just wondering if this is wise. We're talking two 9-hour flights within four days, every two months...
The GP we saw didn't really know, so we're a bit confused at the moment!
Anyone had any advice on this issue they could share?

I went back in first tri and found a recent convo on this and the post I made is included in part below. Entire thread here You can also search the forum for past threads on this topic. First tri search will get you plenty if you look for 'flying'. Hope something here is useful to you.

Information varies and I think you need to decide for yourself. If you have had no bleeding or problems like that, then why not. If you have had any cause for concern I'd discuss with your MW or Doctor first. If you are having a hard time symptom wise you might want to think a while about it. 9 hours is a long haul flight and first tri can and often is exhusting (to the point of feeling ill from it in some cases), so you should also consider how wiped out you may be with commute, flight etc, time difference etc. Then there are the other things, nausea, sickness, food issues, weeing, constipation etc. All can make a 9 hour flight unpleasant. But on the other hand you may feel fine and not notice. Its really impossible to say. If your PG symtoms have not really kicked in yet, you don't know which way you are going to go.

I did some digging and found these

Link 1 At the end they made the following recommendation

“Flying

Where travel is planned during pregnancy, 18-24 weeks in probably the ideal time. Airlines usually allow travel up to the 36th week, but after the 28th week a doctor’s letter may be required stating that the pregnancy is normal, the expected delivery date, and that the doctor is happy for the woman to fly. The policy of individual airlines should be checked.”

The Merck manual on Air Travel (3) states that uncomplicated pregnancy, through 36 week, is not a contraindication to air travel but specifies that high-risk pregnant women must be individually evaluated. They also state that pregnant women should wear seat belts below the abdomen, across the hips and that thrombophlebitis is a specific risk.

Merck also indicate that pregnant women are at higher risk of developing deep vein thrombosis and recommend frequent walks around the cabin and short-movement exercises while seated.

Link 2

Link 3

You also need to ensure you have decent insurance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back