Flying at 30 weeks?

peanut1982

Reaction score
Just been invited to my cousin's hen party in Belfast, it's in August and I've checked and with be 29/30 weeks by this point :shock:
I'm so unsure whether to book a seat or not as I've no idea how I'll be feeling by that point or even if I'll be allowed to fly at that stage of pregnancy?
My mum and auntie will be there so it's not going to be a crazy drunken weekend, just girlie shopping and nice meals. What do you think? Should I just forget it or do you think I'll be fit?
Thanks,
Sarah x

You can fly at 30 weeks. Its not a long flight, just might not be the most comfortable. And also it might be a long weekend at that point/size. If you are flying with a cheapie airline like EasyJet book it anyways. You'll only lose the cost of the ticket which isn't huge. I think our flights were £15 each way. Airport taxes cost us more :wall:

We went to Belfast when I was 12 weeks and even though we were staying near the centre, it was still a 20 minute walk in and I was knackered after a morning in town and an afternoon out to the castle. Our evening out ended up in Tesco Express buying cold ready meal pasta and fresh fruit and going back to our hotel and vegging in bed and being asleep by 9pm :roll: They do have a good bus service though. Just busy.

Check with your chosen airlines policy and see if you require a Doctors note to fly with them then. Some require one after about 26 weeks.

Defo no flying with any airline after 36 weeks and after 32 usually a Docters ceftificate is required to show you are fit to fly.

I flew with EasyJet at 28 weeks and they requested a letter from my midwife / doctor which luckily I had! I would make sure you have one in your green folder and then you should be fine. I think flying before 35 weeks is allowed!

I am also still debating with myself whether to fly to Ireland from Spain for my friend's wedding. I will be 32 weeks. Aer Lingus need a doctor's letter from 28 weeks. I am just so nervous, as I would be flying on my own... :shock: Good luck with whatever you decide. :hug:

I flew on a 4 hour flight at 20 weeks and wasn't to bad going out but coming back at 21+3 was horrible. Swollen ankles, food tray wouldn't come down as had big belly and my bladder decided to stop working whilst on the plane and couldn't pee even though I felt I needed to, think had fluid retention in ankles as drank LOADS of water but nothing came out, maybe air pressure :think: .

I really don't think that you will be able to tell until a couple of weeks beforehand to how you would cope with flight.

What I would also like to know is how do the airlines decide who to ask. For example, say I fly @ 23 weeks and I look like I am about 30 weeks. Whats to stop the airline saying that they dont believe I am only 24 weeks???

(sorry Sarah, I hope you dont think I am taking over your thread - this is just a topic I am really interested in)

Ani said:
What I would also like to know is how do the airlines decide who to ask. For example, say I fly @ 23 weeks and I look like I am about 30 weeks. Whats to stop the airline saying that they dont believe I am only 24 weeks???

(sorry Sarah, I hope you dont think I am taking over your thread - this is just a topic I am really interested in)

Hence taking a Doctors note/certificate in case once past a certain stage. And confirming with your airline its policy. I don't think they base it on how big someone looks :lol:

i was told you can't fly from 28 weeks, i'm going on holiday via ferry at 25 weeks and she said it might be pushing it, don't know if thats just for me or what.

i would not risk it just in case.

bobs xxxxx

It should be fine for you to go, just make sure you have aletter from your doctor or MW. go for it hun and have a fantastic time :hug:

Ani said:

When I borded going out the girl at the boarding gate asked me how many weeks and just took my word for it. Coming back when I was a lot rounder no one asked me anything.

On Airline USA (daytime tv :sleep: ) They make big fat Americans buy two seats. Would they go by the size of someone maybe as it might not be safe??

Thanks for all your advice girls, been stewing over it all day but have decided to give it a miss just to be on the safe side. Don't want to be a burden to the others as even though if I'm tired I'd be happy going back to hotel I wouldn't want to spoil it for them having to come back with me. Save worrying whether I'll fit in the plane seat or not too!
Thanks again,
Sarah x

Sherlock said:
Ani said:

Hence taking a Doctors note/certificate in case once past a certain stage. And confirming with your airline its policy. I don't think they base it on how big someone looks :lol:

So I should take a certificate even at 23 weeks?

If they dont ask based on how big you are, whats to stop a woman saying she is only 20 weeks when she is actually 30 weeks, and then them having to take her word for it??? Some girls are tiny (my sister for example) @ 35 weeks while others are huge @ 20 weeks.

Ani said:
So I should take a certificate even at 23 weeks?

Call and ask your airlines policy if you have any concerns about them possibly refusing you to fly with them. They may require you to have a Docters certificate at the point you fly, they may not. They all vary. So if in doubt, double check and ask.

No airline will carry you past 36 weeks and many after 28 or so do like a Doctors certificate to state you are fit to fly medically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back