Flight with 10 month old

duckanddoodle

Reaction score
Hello

We are going to Canada for 5 weeks in the summer and not looking forward to the 9hr flight with Amelia who will be 10 months by then...

I wanted to be prepared about what to expect...can anyone advise...

What are the baby changing facilities like, I cant ever remember seeing them in the toilets??

How do you take formula/bottles onto a flight, can I take cartons or should i make ready made stuff, would they let me take powder?

Any tips to entertain a 10 months old for 9 hours, we have seats right at the front so if she cries I only have to imagine the hundreds of people glaring at us!!

Thanks for any suggestions

ooo do you mind asking where in canada?! my dad lives there and offered to pay for me and lo to go this easter as he hasnt seen my lo yet... i refused :/ basically because of these reasons!!! its such a long flight and i didnt know how id cope alone with him/feeding/changing/entertaining etc. i looing forward to reading what the other ladies reply and maybe it will convince me to go at easter... my dad was so dissapointed bless.

Hiya, we took a couple of flights when our LO was about 12 weeks ish, the longest around 4 hours. Ours were ryanair flights so the changing facilities were, well a bit of wood folding down from the toilet wall! I'm sure longer haul would be different though. We found our LO got quite bunged up so we had the saline nasal spray for after the flights which was quite good.
Don't take cartons of milk!! Even if they are sealed they will make you open some of them for you to taste and prove they are baby products. We took the bottles with water, and the powder just in the normal dispenser, making them up as and when we needed. The security just now says you have to be able to take a taste of 50% of the liquid. So if you have four bottles of water they'll ask you to test a drop from each. My OH just squirted a tiny bit onto the back of his hand and tasted it, they were happy with that. All airports are different though, in Spain and Norway they didn't bother!
The babies on our flights didn't seem to bother much, we had calpol at the ready but didn't even get a whimper out of our LO. Gave him a dummy or bottle for take off and landing so his ears wouldn't go all funny with the pressure and he slept with all that white noise from the constant engine sound.
Only other thing to keep in mind is your LO will likely be on solids by then so just check out what your carriers policy is on heating baby food, Ryanair do not heat any food or bottles!
Sorry that was an epic response!

ooo do you mind asking where in canada?! my dad lives there and offered to pay for me and lo to go this easter as he hasnt seen my lo yet... i refused :/ basically because of these reasons!!! its such a long flight and i didnt know how id cope alone with him/feeding/changing/entertaining etc. i looing forward to reading what the other ladies reply and maybe it will convince me to go at easter... my dad was so dissapointed bless.

We are going to Calgary and they also have a cabin 12 hours west so going to be spending time between the two! iTs a test to see if we like it and we will look to emigrate

We did pay extra for two seats on their own so we have no one next to us which will be nice. Even though my partner is coming I can foresee it will be likely me with the baby and him catching up on sleep and watching the films:mad:

Free trip to Canada sounds great I would go for it!! How bad can 9 hours be???!!!!

Thanks megsmeadow, that is really helpful. Will have to check as I keep forgetting it wont just be avbout the milk, the weaning saga begins in a couple of weeks!!

We are going to Calgary and they also have a cabin 12 hours west so going to be spending time between the two! iTs a test to see if we like it and we will look to emigrate

We did pay extra for two seats on their own so we have no one next to us which will be nice. Even though my partner is coming I can foresee it will be likely me with the baby and him catching up on sleep and watching the films:mad:

my dad lives in calgary!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannhknite
Back