First food tomorrow! (pointless thread but excited mummy :-)

mum2b410

Reaction score
Well Ethan turned 6 months on wednesday and we have held out on giving him food but tomorrow is the big day!! Wanted to do it at a weekend so OH doesn't miss out on this milestone moment! We r gonna do blw with a little bit of puree/mashing! So breakfast menu tomortow is toast and butter and some baby porridge!! Know he will prob just make a mess and not eat much but im still v excited! I've been sitting him in his high chair for a while now and letting him play with a spoon and cup and he loves it!......Do have a few nerves about choking but fx it will all go well! .....Like i said, pointless thread but wanted to share excitement! :)

Aw wow, how exciting :) let us know how it goes!!!!

Thanks ladies! Will let u know how it goes! X

Aw bless him. I was too wary about BLW so I've gone down the puree/mashed route although Angel prefers to use her hands and smush it all up anyway lol let us know how he gets on hun :) xx

Sorry for delay- been a mad weekend! Yep it went great! He definitely swollowed some porridge and he loved the toast with butter! Banana was a bit slippery for him to pick up but he did manage it! He got very messy lol! But think he enjoyed the experience and was good with it again today :)

Aww thats great hun. I haven't given Angel toast yet, sounds silly but what bread and butter did you use? I wasn't sure about this because we use Lurpack slightly salted and I didn't want to give any to her as I thought it might be too salty?? And did you cut the toast into fingers and just let him help himself? Did he gag at all? I make most of Angels food, for her tea she usually has pureed veg or sweet potato and my HV advised to make it a bit lumpier when she hits 6 months (I've been blending it right down into a paste everytime) but every time I do it I get really scared she'll choke lol xx

Just give him the bread we have (kingsmill 50/50) and use unsalted butter. I cut the crusts off and chop it into fingers so he can hold them but long enough so a bit sticks out the top of his hand iykwim. He hasn't choked but has coughed a bit and gagged a couple of times but I think this is normal as he's still learning to take food from front to back of mouth as well as chew! I can understand ur anxiety I do worry a bit but I guess I'm calmer coz I've watched my best friend do it with her little girl over the last 6 months or so. And we have also done a baby/toddler first aid course which covers dealing with choking. He's had toast fingers everyday since Saturday and loves them! I just keep an eye on him but the worst that's happened is he's gagged and spat it out! (Then he just picks the same bit up again and has another go!lol!) Like I say- u do what ur comfortable with hun xx

Indeed! He loves getting in a mess! He had dairylea toast fingers for lunch today and he really liked them! Sucked all the dairylea off and had a good go at munching the toast but don't think he's fully got there with gumming it down yet! Am v impressed with how he's taking water from a lidded beaker tho- thought it would take a lot longer! So exciting as he's got so many things to try :)

Last edited:
It is exciting isn't it! Sounds like he's doing great, surprising how quick they learn to eat!

Thats great hun, I'm starting to introduce a bit of BLW, I gave her some toast this morning and she seemed to really like it. Ever since I started feeding her she's always done a really good chewing action and with the two teeth well and truly out it makes me feel a bit better lol I also gave some of these dried apple crisp things (suitable for babies) and she adores them xx

Yep Sarah- great fun watching them and seeing how they play with it all and work it all out! Ethan likes to get as messy as he can! Lol!

That's great Lauren- we're still waiting for Ethan's teeth to appear so Angel must do great with toast with her two! Xx

Yeah she's doing good with it, I gave her sweet potato cubes last night and she had cucumber today which she loved. I got a sweet potato recipe from a BLW website which was just in cubes but sprinkled with ground nutmeg and cinnamon, I loved them Angel wasn't so sure though bless her lol. She had her toast fingers again this morning, I'm going home for a visit again but when I'm back gonna switch to brown bread and a different butter just to make it a little bit more healthy and it'll encourage me and OH to be a bit more healthy too lol x hows Ethan getting on babe? xx

Ethans had sweet potato chips this week! I loved them and he seemed to aswell! They're good coz not much chewing involved as v soft! He's started having some yoghurt too now and likes to hold the spoon himself and either suck it off or hit the high chair tray with it! Lol! ....Gonna give him sweet potato mash tomorrow at lunch and have put some in little pots to freeze as well. At the weekend gonna start something for him at tea time- got a baby friendly recipe for shepherds pie so will do that coz then we will all have the same and he can try some new veggies too!.....Will have to give cucumber a go like u coz that is soft and I can cut it into fingers- did u take the skin off hun for Angel? X

Oh bless him :) Angel loves yoghurt n I gave her baby pasta tonight n she loved that. Yeah I peeled the cucumber and chopped it into fingers. It's great for me and OH too because I don't want her having any junk and it encourages me and OH to eat healthier too :) xx

Yep- I am certainly expanding my cooking abilities (never been v good) and trying to make sure ethan only gets healthy stuff which, like u sat encourages us too- benefits all round! Will have to have some salad soon and try him on the cucumber! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back