• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

First car seat

Hazel

Reaction score
Got this car seat

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 8&mcb=core

Can't put it in the front of the car as have airbag. Just about goes in the back but the seabelt looks tight across it. Is it supposed to be tight?

How long do babies stay in these first seats for and is there a length/weight limit to them. The seat doesn't look very big and looks as if her legs and arms are going to be hanging out quickly.

cant u turn the airbags off thats what i did and hannah was in it about 7/8 months

Had a look today as we assumed we could turn them off. We would have to disconnect it on both sides then would need to get a new module thing when we wanted them reconnected which cost £200!

It just looks like there won't be enough room for baby after a few months.

Yes, the seatbelt should be tight otherwise the seat would slip in a crash. Have a look at the instructions that came with it. Assuming it is positioned the way the instructions say (for example, mine says the handle should be pointing straight up) then it is fine. If you can't get the seat into the right position because of the seatbelt length it's not fine. Can you get seatbelts extended?

There will be a weight limit to the car seat and again that will be in the instruction book that came with it. Whether or not they truly last as long as they say I don't know. DD is already starting to run out of room in hers, which is supposed to do until 12 months and she's only 2.5 months!

kalia said:
There will be a weight limit to the car seat and again that will be in the instruction book that came with it. Whether or not they truly last as long as they say I don't know. DD is already starting to run out of room in hers, which is supposed to do until 12 months and she's only 2.5 months!

This what I'm concerned about. She will be fine for a while I'm assuming but I don't think it's going to last as long as they say. The seatbelt is stretched to it's limit (is this ok?), I can't even get the carseat behind my side as I have my seat as far back as it will go as I'm tall. The smaller car seats fit with a bit of slack but it probably won't last her long enough and then we will have the same problem again :wall: .

It really depends on the size of your baby tbh. Mine was always a pretty biff baby, and by the time he was 4/5 months old he was growing out of the seat, but they recommend you dont move them to the next stage seat until around 9 months. Its all to do with their height and weight, but also how well they sit and hold their heads up. We hung on as long as possible but by 6/7 months we just had to move him out of the infant carrier and into the next stage seat. Like I said, he was always a pretty large boy, so it wasnt really an issue for us and we never had any problems moving him.

the little girl i looked after had her seat like that untill she was about 8months, and she was a tall one! but like everyone else said, they have a weight limit. You can get regular ones (not that carry around) that take baby from birth to like 4 yrs. they have all kinds of adjustments.

71883101_m.jpg

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/B ... ion/718831

Most first car seats are good up to approx 13kg (which will be approx 9-12months), but check your instructions.

As a rule, it shouldn't matter if your baby is long. UNLESS the head starts peeking above the car seat - the legs and arms are allowed to hang over the sides, but as soon as head starts going higher than car seat this becomes dangerous in event of heavy braking/crash etc. as head & neck will not be supported/cushioned from blows.

I went for a car seat from newborn to 4 years so it was absolutley massive for Oliver to begin with and had a special newborn insert. I thought this the cheapest option rather than having to change again when he was less than a year.

So I could get one with a base on it which I could just slot rear facing seat into it and it could go into the back of my car? When she's older I'll be able to get the forward facing seat for her age range? Going to have to try and find something.

We can use the other car seat in DH car and if MIL babysits.

Mothercare (and other places) always adivse you try any car seat you are considering buying out first. Mothercare have people trained to test them for fit and safety etc in a car so its always worth having them do so. Even if you then buy elsewhere. Not all car seats fit all cars. Did you have it fitted by someone before you bought? If so they should have been able to show and tell you how it fitted. Something about 50% of the base of the child seat needs to be in contact with the car seat and the seatbelt has to fit.

Infant carriers have a shorter use span than a 0-4 car seat. We opted for a 0-4 straight away as we didn't want an infant carrier and the extra cost. Head insert and you are away. And the seat tilts so as LO grows it can become more upright.

We got the Britax Si First class 0-4 car seat, as we knew she was going to be big and it will grow with her, i also got the attachment to go with my carrycot so that i can use that in the back if needed

Well, been out today and NOTHING fits my car :( . Halfords are going to write me a letter to send to Daewoo as I'm sure this is against the law. It hasn't got the anchor points and the seatbelts are too short.

Lanos 1999 T reg. I think the age is the main problem. We've seen one in Agos which I've ordered this evening that might fit as seatbelt fits on the base so keeping my fingers crossed :pray: . If it doesn't fit then will just return it.

We had similar problems with our car. It was a bit older and has quite sloping rear seats. No infant carrier fitted (not that we wanted one but we tried them out) and only a few 0-4 ones did also. We got the one we wanted to fit anyways. Britax Ultra Si. Mind you we then went and bought a new car (much newer Renault Laguna estate) and first thing we did when we tested it was fit the car seat :lol:

Did you try an infant carrier or 0-4? Once they go forward facing most car seats should fit fine.

I'm sorry its been so crap for you. But there should be a car seat out there to fit. Did you try Mothercare also? One of their big stores? They have loads of seats also. We didn't get one from them but had ours fitted by an indepandant retailer.

Hazel said:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001151&langId=-1&searchTerms=376%2F1078

GOT A CAR SEAT :dance: :dance: :dance:

This one fits!!!! Not stocked by Mothercare or Halfords so couldn't try it. We wanted the one that went from 0-4 but not meant to be. At least we have one. It's fitted in the car now ready for her arrival.

you could brought the whole travel system from me in that design :lol: loverly colour it is btw !

Congrats on getting a fitted seat!

We got the Silver Cross Ventura and she grew out of it at 10 weeks :shock: no exaggeration so we have had to go out and buy a Maxi Cosi. On the plus side it has Isofix so it just clips in and out making my life a lot easier than with the other one, and it's got comfier shoulder pads etc too. She now has loads of room in it so it should last til 9 months. She's just so ruddy looooong. Doesn't get it from me mind. I'm short and stumpy ha ha.

We had a similar car seat for Harrison but he outgrew it by 3 1/2 months, we bought another from kiddicare but it was rubbish so I gave that away and bought a britax first class from halfords at the weekend and it's fab

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back